Notices sorted by graduation date.
Robert J. Sangine (Arch ‘60) of Charlotte, N.C., died Oct. 22, 2010. At the University, he was a member of the Jefferson Literary and Debating Society.
Jack Pontoriero (Col ‘61) of Erie, Penn., died Nov. 11, 2010. At the University, he was a member of the U.Va. wrestling team and of Chi Psi fraternity. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War and retired from the U.S. Army after 42 years of service. He had a private dental practice for many years before retiring from the Community Health Net. He was a founding member of the Cleft Palate Institute of Erie and was a member of the Erie Dental Society, the Cleft Palate Institute of Erie, and the Erie Maennerchor Club.
Trafford Hill Jr. (Med ‘61, Res ‘71) of Virginia Beach died Dec. 15, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy. Dr. Hill was a doctor of psychiatry, serving patients throughout the southern Hampton Roads and northeastern North Carolina region.
George W. Farson III (Educ ‘62) of Vernon Hill, Va., died Oct. 10, 2010. At the University, he was a member of the baseball team. He taught at Woodlawn Academy and played professional baseball for the Baltimore Orioles from 1962 to 1971 as catcher. He managed in the Baltimore Orioles minor league from 1972 to 1975, the Oakland A’s minor league from 1976 to 1977, and the Milwaukee Brewers’ minor league from 1978 to 1979. Mr. Farson was the Philadelphia Phillies’ minor league catching instructor from 1980 to 1981 and a scout until 1989. He was a farmer and logger and loved grouse hunting in Maine. He was a member of the Ruffed Grouse Society and the Baseball Players of America.
Edwin Rosson (Engr ‘62) of Charlottesville died Nov. 19, 2010. After graduation, he became known as “Mr. Steering” at Sperry Marine, where he was employed for 42 years specializing in steering systems for ships. A multitalented man, he was a star football player and an All-State trumpeter in high school. He also played the accordion and bass. He was an entertainer on the piano at social occasions and at home. Survivors include his wife, Judith Wise Rosson (Educ ‘66); and a son, Douglas Rosson (Com ‘93).
Clyde Barbour (Engr ‘64) of Concord, N.C., died Nov. 28, 2010. He was a retired plant facilities manager for Crown Wood Products in Mocksville, N.C., with 23 years of service and was a former employee of the Lane Co.
William E. Norcross (Law ‘64) of Memphis, Tenn., died Jan. 1, 2011. He served in the U.S. Air Force. At the University, he was a member of the Judiciary Committee and the Honor Committee. Mr. Norcross graduated first in his class and moved to Bristol, Va., where he practiced law as a partner at the law firm of Hall & Norcross. He received many community and civic awards, including the Young Virginia Man of the Year Award. In June 1970, he moved to Memphis to become the vice president and general counsel of the Downtowner/Passport International Hotel Corporation. In 1976, he opened his own hotel management company, which he sold 10 years later when he went back to the practice of law.
Mary J. Cooper (Educ ‘66) of Hurley, Va., died Dec. 4, 2010. She was a teacher in the Buchanan County Public Schools, having retired with more than 40 years of service, and was a former professor at Southwest Virginia Community College.
Helen Broyles Harper (Educ ‘66) of Norfolk, Va., died Nov. 20, 2010. Ms. Harper retired from the Norfolk Public Schools after a 26-year career as a teacher. She was a member of the Metropolitan Music Club.
Alma Bayless Layne (Educ ‘66) of Richmond, Va., died Nov. 1, 2010. Ms. Layne taught school in Tennessee, and then served as a WAVE in World War II. She lived in Fredericksburg, Va., and moved to Henrico County, where she taught school, raised two sons and commuted to the University to earn her master’s degree. She was a teacher for more than 33 years in Henrico schools.
Wendall H. Phillips (Educ ‘66) of Winchester, Va., died Nov. 7. 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy. He taught school in Boyce, Va., from 1952 until 1953. He then served as a teacher, counselor and guidance coordinator at John Handley High School from 1953 until 1989.