Notices sorted by graduation date.
David W. Carr (Educ ’50 L/M) of Charlottesville died April 6, 2016. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II. At the University, he was chairman of the Honor Committee and a member of the baseball team, Z Society, Raven Society, 13 Society and Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity. Mr. Carr worked as leasing manager for the Barracks Road Shopping Center and served for nearly two decades on the Albemarle County planning commission. He served as president of the UVA Alumni Association Board of Managers, the Thomas Jefferson Society and the Virginia Student Aid Foundation, now the Virginia Athletics Foundation. He also chaired the committee that raised funds for and built the McCue Center and served on numerous other committees, including the search committees for two deans and an athletic director. Survivors include his wife; his sister; two sons, including David W. Carr Jr. (Law ’83 L/M); three daughters, including Ashley Carr Smith (Col ’85 L/M); 14 grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
William C. Marshall III (Col ’51) of Richmond, Virginia, died March 11, 2016. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. At the University, he was a member of the football team and Student Council. After the war, he joined IBM. During his 35 years with the company, he set up the first commercial computer in the Pentagon and traveled around the world, eventually becoming country manager of IBM Malaysia and manager of selected international accounts at IBM World Trade headquarters. Mr. Marshall was a volunteer counselor in local prisons and served on the board of directors for Offender Aid & Restoration. He also volunteered for Habitat for Humanity, served on the planning committee for the John Marshall House and supported the American Shakespeare Center in Staunton, Virginia. Survivors include a son, a daughter and four grandchildren.
V.J. Coberly (Educ ’52) of Roswell, Georgia, and Petersburg, Virginia, died Feb. 27, 2016. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. At the University, he wrote for the Virginia Spectator and was a member of the Cavalier Daily staff, the Jefferson Literary and Debating Society and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. He spent his working career as a member of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management at Fort Lee, Virginia, where he became assistant director of the directorate of combat developments in the U.S. Army Quartermaster School. During his career he wrote extensively for professional military magazines and Pentagon reports. He also wrote several novels. Survivors include his wife, two sons, a daughter and two grandchildren.
Joan N. Johnston Dorsey (Educ ’52) of Salem, Virginia, died Feb. 14, 2016. She worked at the Roanoke Valley Speech and Hearing Center for 35 years, helping with its development from an office in the basement of Gill Memorial Hospital to a full-service speech, language and hearing center with audiological suites and a mobile unit. A founding member of a number of nonprofit organizations in the Roanoke Valley, including Salem Area Ecumenical Ministries and the Feed and Read meal program for needy students, she was deeply involved in her community. In 2014, she received Roanoke College’s Charles Brown Award, which honors significant contributions to quality of life in the city of Salem. She was a dedicated single mother and grandmother, and closely followed the UVA basketball team. Survivors include three sons, including Charles N. Dorsey (Col ’76 L/M), and eight grandchildren.
Nicholas George Wilson III (Col ’52 L/M) of Virginia Beach died March 12, 2016. He served in the U.S. Navy. At the University, he was a member of the Fraternity of Delta Psi (St. Anthony Hall), Omicron Delta Kappa, the Raven Society and Naval ROTC. In 1954, he joined his father’s firm, Door Engineering Corp., where he worked until his retirement in 1999. A staunch supporter of the University, Mr. Wilson served as a member and president of the board of managers of the University of Virginia Alumni Association and was a founding member of the Rotunda Society Council, now the Annual Giving Advisory Board. He also served on the board of the Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership and as chair of the institute’s Hampton Roads regional board. Mr. Wilson served on the boards of a number of organizations, including the Builders and Contractors Exchange, Westminster Canterbury and the Mary F. Ballentine Home for the Aged. In 2007, he received the Children’s Literacy Volunteer Service Award from the Norfolk Rotary Club in recognition of his more than 20 years of service as a volunteer reader in Norfolk elementary schools. Survivors include his wife; two sons, including Mark T. Wilson (Col ’80); two sisters and two granddaughters.
Echol Marshall Jr. (Engr ’53 L/M) of Austin, Texas, died Jan. 30, 2016. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps. At the University, he was a member of Kappa Alpha Order and Trigon Engineering Society. Mr. Marshall worked as an engineer for 3M in Austin. He loved playing tennis, playing and teaching bridge, birdwatching and participating in his local investment club. Survivors include his wife; a son, Echol S. Marshall III (Educ ’06); a daughter; and two grandchildren.
John L. “Middy” Middleton (Educ ’54 L/M) of Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, died April 7, 2016. At the University, he was a member of Eli Banana, Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity and the basketball team. He played in the first ACC basketball tournament in 1954. He also managed Carroll’s Tea Room. Mr. Middleton joined the U.S. Army in 1954 and served for nine years, becoming a helicopter pilot and flying in the Vietnam War. After leaving the Army, he went to work for Jefferds Corp., a material handling company in Charleston, West Virginia, in 1964. He joined the company as a parts and service manager and later worked as a salesman. In 1969, he moved to Greensboro, North Carolina, eventually founding his own company, Carolina Material Handling, in 1971. He brought on Joe Mehalick (Educ ’54 L/M) in 1974 as the company grew. The company is still in operation today. Mr. Middleton was an avid reader, a supporter of veteran causes and a member of the American Legion. He loved the company of his friends, especially his fraternity brothers. He attended as many reunions as his schedule would allow, from family and military to school and fraternity. Survivors include his wife, two sons, four granddaughters, a brother and a sister.
Beryl H. Owens (Med ’54) of Rose Hill, Virginia, died March 31, 2016. He served in the U.S. Army. Dr. Owens began a private practice in Rose Hill in 1955 in a remodeled restaurant building next to a gas station. After 15 years in that office, he moved into a former drugstore building, where he practiced for the remainder of his career. Dr. Owens spent mornings in his office and made house calls in the afternoons. He retired from private practice in 1997, but he served as medical examiner for Lee County until the time of his death. He also spent a summer volunteering at the Cherokee Nation’s Nowata Primary Care Clinic in Nowata, Oklahoma, now the Will Rogers Health Center. He served on the board of directors of the People’s Bank, the Lee County school board and an advisory committee to the Virginia Board of Education. A self-proclaimed “champion zucchini grower,” Dr. Owens was an avid gardener and a member of the Lee County Garden Club. Survivors include a son, a granddaughter and four great-grandchildren.
Lois V. Arnold (Educ ’55) of Largo, Florida, died April 2, 2016. She taught English at Miami Edison Senior High School from 1939 to 1949 and at Clearwater Junior High School from 1953 to 1959. In 1960, she became county supervisor of English for Pinellas County Schools. She held that post until 1968, when she accepted a position as English and reading consultant for San Diego City Schools. She worked in San Diego until she returned to Florida in 1986. Ms. Arnold was a charter member and served as president of the Upper Pinellas chapter of the American Association of University Women. She also served as president of the Florida Council of Teachers of English and was a member of the National Council of Teachers of English. She enjoyed traveling throughout the U.S. and Europe, and, in 1990, wrote a cover story for British Heritage magazine about her trips to the United Kingdom. She was also a member of the Clearwater Historical Society, and wrote guest columns for the North Pinellas Times concerning life in the region’s recent past. Survivors include a sister.
Arlen F. Carter (Engr ’55) of Newport News, Virginia, died March 29, 2016. At the University, he was a member of Trigon Engineering Society, German Club and V Club. He was also a member of the Wesley Foundation at UVA and served as president of the organization. He played on the baseball team from 1951 to 1953 and played minor league baseball in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization for two years before returning to the University to finish his degree. After graduation, Mr. Carter became an engineer for NASA at Langley, Virginia, where he worked for his entire career. In the late 1950s, he helped design the Echo 1 satellite, the first U.S. satellite put into Earth orbit. He was awarded two patents for space plasma research and worked on the design of the landing rockets for the Viking program Mars landers in the 1970s. Mr. Carter served as the assistant director of the space directorate at NASA Langley Field and retired as the systems manager of a program that used spectroscopic analysis to measure deterioration of the ozone in the atmosphere. In retirement, he enjoyed reading, playing bridge and traveling with his wife, family and friends. He was also a devoted Cavaliers fan, following the basketball team intently in the 2015-16 season. Survivors include his wife; two sons, including John E. Carter (Col ’86); a daughter; and seven grandchildren.
James Edward “Red Dog” Covington Jr. (Col ’56, Law ’61 L/M) of Richmond, Virginia, died Jan. 21, 2016. At the University, he was a member of the Corks & Curls staff, Eli Banana, P.K. Society, Skull and Keys, German Club and Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity. As a law student, he was president of Phi Delta Alpha legal society. After law school, Mr. Covington and his wife moved to Richmond, where he joined the law firm of Williams Mullen Christian Pollard. In 1969, he founded the Covington Company, a real estate development company that is still in operation today. Mr. Covington was active in his community; most recently, he served on the Three Chopt Road Civic Association, where he worked to preserve Bandy Field as a park, and worked to bring a secure source of drinking water to the residents of Middlesex County. As a young man, Mr. Covington worked on Beaver Creek Farm in Henry County, Virginia, and the experience instilled him with a lifelong love of the outdoors. He enjoyed skiing, sailing and golfing, but foxhunting was his greatest passion. He was master of foxhounds at Deep Run Hunt Club from 1980 until 1985 and from 2001 until his death. He had recently purchased Sunnyside Farm in Fluvanna County, where he mowed and fenced the overgrown fields and restored the buildings on the property. At Sunnyside, he could be found on a tractor or a horse, his forms of meditation. Survivors include his wife; two daughters, including Jane Covington Motion (Arch ’87, Darden ’99); a son; a sister; and four grandchildren.
Mary G. Del Torto Ludwig (Med ’58) of Crawfordsville, Indiana, died Feb. 21, 2016. Early in her career, she worked in a chemistry lab at Memorial Hospital and in cancer research at the Sloan-Kettering Institute—the two institutions are now combined as the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center—in New York City. After graduating from medical school, Dr. Ludwig completed a pediatrics internship at Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri. She and her husband later moved to Crawfordsville, where she worked as a pediatrician at the Well Baby Clinic, later the Dr. Mary Ludwig Free Clinic, for the remainder of her career. She was devoted to making her community a better place to live, serving on a number of boards and receiving numerous awards, including a concurrent resolution by the Indiana state legislature honoring her work. Survivors include her husband, three daughters, a son and 11 grandchildren.
Ronald S. Walker (Engr ’59) of Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, died July 30, 2015. He served in the U.S. Army. At the University, he was a member of the swim team, Naval ROTC and Eli Banana, and was commander of Sigma Nu fraternity in his fourth year. After leaving the Army, Mr. Walker and his family moved to Connecticut, where he worked in sales with Ingersoll-Rand and eventually became the firm’s manager for the New England area. In 1970, he started his own firm, A-Lined Handling Systems, in Hartford, Connecticut. Following his retirement and move to Florida in 2010, his sons took over management of the company. A member of the Off Soundings Club and the J/30 Class Association, Mr. Walker loved sailing and the ocean throughout his life. His travels brought him to six continents. He was also an avid skier and a longtime member of the Hartford Ski Club. Survivors include his wife, two sons, a daughter, two sisters and 12 grandchildren.