Notices sorted by graduation date.

Leon Jacob Hecht (Col ’50) of Norfolk, Va., died Oct. 2, 2010. He was a dentist and an adjunct clinical faculty member at the American Red Cross Dental clinic in Norfolk. Dr. Hecht was a lieutenant commander in the Dental Corps of the U.S. Navy Reserve. He was a member of the Tidewater Dental Association, the American Dental Association and the Virginal Dental Association.

Frederic Nicholson (Col ’50, Law ’52) of Norfolk, Va., died Sept. 27, 2010. He served in the 82nd Airborne Division of the U.S. Army during World War II. Mr. Nicholson’s legal career spanned 45 years in New York City and Norfolk. He was an adjunct professor at Rutgers, Georgetown and New York universities.

John Rogers Sims Jr. (Com ’50, Law ’52 L/M) of Washington, D.C., died Aug. 6, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity and the Jefferson Literary and Debating Society. He was general counsel for the First National Bank of Strasburg (Va.) and later for DC Transit. He was also the founding director of Commonwealth Doctors Hospital in Fairfax and Presidential Classroom.

Frank May Thompson (Col ’50 L/M) of Melbourne, Fla., died Sept. 29, 2010. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II. At the University, he was president of Chi Phi fraternity and a member of the Inter-Fraternity Council. In addition, he won the University lightweight boxing title as a member of the varsity boxing squad. During his business career, Mr. Thompson held the title of vice president of personnel and labor relations at Bulova Watch Co., as well as at American Express and Eastern Airlines. He also worked at McKinsey and Co. and was an executive at Southeast Bank. Later, he formed Thompson and Associated Consulting. He was president of the School Volunteer Program of Greater Miami, which grew to more than 30,000 volunteers under his leadership. He also served on the board of directors of the National School Volunteer Program and the Variety Children’s Hospital in Miami. Survivors include a daughter, Karen D. Thompson (Col ’77 L/M).

John Harrison Welch (Col ’50 L/M) of Louisville, Ky., died Sept. 29, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps during World War II. At the University, he was a member of St. Elmo fraternity. Mr. Welch was the owner of the WEMBCO Insurance Agency.

Richard Case White Sr. (Col ’50) of Chattanooga, died Sept. 25, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. He was an advertising and marketing executive and worked for Life magazine in New York City. Mr. White worked for Chattem and Greenleaf and was a board member for the Council for Alcohol and Drug Abuse Services.

Henry Bayard Clark Jr. (Col ’51 A/M) of Underhill Center, Vt., died Oct. 19, 2007. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II. He was employed at his family business, the Clark Door Company, first in Newark, Vt., and later in Cranford, Vt., and was its vice president. Later, he invented the Clark Step-Up Thermostat. He also managed the condominiums at the Smugglers’ Notch Resort.

Eugene Akers Crickenberger (Col ’51 L/M) of Manassas, Va., died July 19, 2010. He joined the FBI in 1950. After he retired in 1979, he was a consultant for the State Department and the Department of Defense. He was a member and past president of the Society of Former Special Agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

John W. McCarthy Jr. (Col ’51 L/M) of Warrenton, Va., died Sept. 24, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and then worked for the U.S. State Department for 30 years, serving in Cambodia, Burma, Indonesia and Vietnam. Survivors include a son, John W. McCarthy III (Arch ’86 A/M).

Charles Rand Penney (Law ’51) of Lockport, N.Y., died Aug. 1, 2010. He served as a counterintelligence officer in the U.S. Army during World War II. He began a career as an art collector in the 1930s and his collections are held at the Burchfield Penney Art Center in Buffalo, N.Y., the Castellani Art Museum in Lewiston, N.Y., and other institutions, including the South Australian Museum and the de Young Museum in San Francisco. Though he was a world traveler and amassed sizable collections of ethnographic objects from New Guinea, Africa and elsewhere, Penney’s true passion was in the art and history of western New York. A series of gifts—valued at $7 million at the time—from Penney’s collection formed the bedrock of the permanent collection at the Burchfield Penney Art Center, which took the collector’s name in 1994. Penney’s collections included material on Buffalo’s 1901 Pan-American Exposition, a series of world’s fairs in cities around the globe, pop cultural ephemera and a sizeable collection of coat hangers from around western New York.

Joseph C. Segar (Col ’51 A/M) of Barnstable, Mass., died Sept. 1, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He spent a lifetime in education, teaching sixth grade at the Renbrook School in West Hartford, Conn., for many years before becoming the head of Shady Hill School in Cambridge in 1963. During his 26 years as director, he led Shady Hill to be a more diverse and inclusive institution. He served for 29 years on the board of trustees of Wheelock College in Boston, earning an honorary degree from that college in 1995. He later served on the boards of Cape Abilities on Cape Cod, an organization that serves those with disabilities; and the Sturgis Library in Barnstable.

Joseph Wood II (Col ’51, Law ’54 L/M) of Charlottesville died Aug. 28, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy. At the University, he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, and the Eli Banana and IMP societies. He practiced at the law firm of Wood, Wood & Wood with his father and brother until he retired. He served on the boards of U.Va.’s Miller Center of Public Affairs, the Miller School, the U.Va. Alumni Association and the Salvation Army. Survivors include a brother, David J. Wood (Law ’49 L/M); a daughter, Whitney Wood (Col ’79); and a nephew, David J. Wood II (Com ’84).

Mary Louise Wood (Educ ’51, ’52, Grad ’61) of Burke, Va., died July 25, 2010. At the University, she was a member of Chi Omega sorority. She was a teacher for many years in the Arlington, Va., Public Schools system.

Ivan Vernon Yonce Jr. (Educ ’51) of Richmond, Va., died July 21, 2010. He served in the U.S. Air Force. He had a dental practice for 32 years in Fluvanna County. Mr. Yonce played piano and organ for the Paramount Theater, the Russian Ballet and the Connor Phillips Orchestra, then appearing at Farmington Country Club and numerous University dances. He had a radio show with Patsy Garrett on WRVA and his own television show, called Designs in Music with WTVR. On occasion, he could be found playing at the Miller & Rhoads Tea Room and the Byrd Theatre.

John Lee Dofflemoyer (Col ’52) of Orange, Va., died Aug. 17, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He was employed for many years by Virginia Metal Products Inc. and later by Exposaic Industries Inc. from which he retired after 20 years. For some years, he and his wife operated Consignments Unlimited, an antique and consignment shop in Orange.

David H. Ellsworth (Col ’52) of Osterville, Mass., died Aug. 8, 2010. After serving in the U.S. Army, in 1955, he worked at the Malcolm Grant Insurance Agency in Worcester, Mass. Mr. Ellsworth became owner of Classic Car Corporation, the Mercedes Benz dealership in Worcester, and operated it until 1974. He was one of the original members of the Worcester Players Club and a company actor for the Foothills Theater in Worcester. As a professional actor, he appeared on television shows, including All My Children and As the World Turns. Mr. Ellsworth was the voice of Captain Waverly Underhill on the Cape Cod Radio Mystery Theater radio series. He played the role of Robert Hoffman in Arthur Egeli’s film Unconditional Love, a story about the Cape Cod School of Art, which won prestigious awards at film festivals.

Allan Robertson Hanckel (Col ’53) of Norfolk, Va., died Sept. 27, 2010. He was owner and president of Hanckel Smith Sales Co. for 32 years. During that time, he was president of the Tidewater chapter of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers. As commodore of the Norfolk Boat Club, Mr. Hanckel was directly responsible for the reconstruction of the club after it burned in 1966. He was a master sergeant in the Virginia National Guard. Mr. Hanckel served as a member of the Norfolk City Planning Commission and was once a candidate for Norfolk City Council. In the 1980s, he owned and ran the Recovery Room, a restaurant and bar in downtown Norfolk. He worked for Hobbs and Associates for 13 years.

John E. McIntosh (Col ’52) of Boyce, Va., died Aug. 25, 2010. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Korean War. He worked as a district manager for Economy Forms Corp, and after his retirement from that company managed investments for Merrill Lynch. Mr. McIntosh served as president of Grafton School, chairman of the Clarke County Democratic Committee and on the Horsemen’s Benevolent & Protective Association in Charlestown, W.Va. He is survived by a son, John E. McIntosh Jr. (Col ’76).

Everett Coleman King (Educ ’53) of Martinsville, Va., died August 29, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He taught for 30 years in the Martinsville City School System.

Robert Adam Ramsdell Jr. (Col ’53) of New Castle, Del., died Aug. 24, 2010. He served in the U.S. military during the Korean War. Mr. Ramsdell worked in the trust department of Equitable Trust Co. (now PNC Bank). Later, he formed a tax and accounting firm specializing in small businesses in New Castle County. Survivors include a stepdaughter, Andrea P. Salley (Arch ’78, Law ’82 L/M); and a stepson, Blaine T. Phillips Jr. (Col ’86).

Mary Ann F. Spring (Nurs ’53) of Fredericksburg, Va., died Aug. 9, 2010. She was a registered nurse and worked in operating room nursing with the Visiting Nurse Association in Topsfield and Ridgefield, Conn.

Trevor Deree Turner (Col ’53 A/M) of Spotsylvania County, Va., died Feb. 24, 2010. He was a minister of the Virginia Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, serving churches in Virginia and Georgia. Col. Turner was also a U.S. Army officer with nearly 30 years of service. As an Army chaplain, he was assigned to various stateside posts and overseas tours in Korea, Panama and Germany, and was a veteran of the Vietnam War. He was command chaplain of the U.S. Army Alaska Command. Col. Turner was appointed by the United Methodist Church as president of Randolph-Macon Academy in Front Royal. During his 16-year term, he renewed the 118-year-old academy’s stature, leading it from the brink of closure to become one of the country’s prominent college preparatory schools.

Morris T. Warner Jr. (Col ’54) of Staunton, Va., died Oct. 11, 2010. During his career with the U.S. Air Force, he served in many capacities all over the world. He was aide-de-camp to Maj. Gen. Joseph D. Caldera and commander of the Joint Military Group in Spain. In 1969, Col. Warner was a combat fighter pilot in Vietnam, flying an A-37B “Dragonfly” on 193 missions. While serving in the 60th Military Airlift Wing at Travis Air Force Base in California in the 1970s, he flew continuous transoceanic flights, including supply missions to a National Science Foundation research group in Antarctica. Col. Warner was assigned to the U.S. State Department in Tehran, Iran, where he was taken hostage for several days by militants who stormed the embassy after the shah abandoned the county. He returned to Travis Air Force Base as a vice commander of a C5A wing. He retired from active duty in 1984.

David Waterman Wiley (Educ ’55) of Bloomington, Ind., died July 17, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He founded the Group Twenty Players, a summer theater company in Union, Conn. Mr. Wiley was an assistant professor of speech and drama at Longwood College in Farmville, Va., where he was adviser and director for the Longwood Players and taught a variety of theater classes for 11 years. At Longwood, he encouraged racial integration of the campus theater and supported integration of the Prince Edward County public schools. Mr. Wiley became an assistant professor in the department of theater and drama at Indiana University, where he directed several plays and taught acting, oral interpretation, directing, play production and theater history. In 1973, he accepted a position as associate professor at the University of Hawaii at Hilo. In 1975, Mr. Wiley returned to the mainland to be head of the department of theatre and speech at the University of Tennessee, Chattanooga, where he became a full professor and from which he retired in 1996. He served on the local, state and national boards of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Clark C. Eversole (Educ ’56) of Hague, Va., died Aug. 27, 2010. He served in the U.S. Air Force and was an educator in Virginia for 35 years, including 28 years as an elementary school principal in the city of Hampton.

Thomas M. Fulcher (Med ’56 L/M) of Amherst, Va., died Aug. 20, 2010. He served in the U.S. Air Force from 1959 to 1961. Dr. Fulcher began his practice in thoracic and vascular surgery in 1965 in Falls Church, Va. He served as chairman of the department of surgery at Inova Fairfax Hospital from 1983 to 1999. At the same time, he was a clinical professor of surgery at Georgetown University School of Medicine. He served as president of several professional organizations, including the Fairfax Medical Society, Fairfax Medical Staff at Inova Fairfax Hospital, the Virginia Surgical Society and the Northern Virginia Academy of Surgeons. Dr. Fulcher inherited his family’s farm in Amherst, Va., which had been in the family since the 1700s, and in 2007 put 840 acres into a conservation easement. Survivors include a son, Thomas M. Fulcher Jr. (GSBA ’86).

Earl George Hendrick (Engr ’56 L/M) of Dallas died July 22, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army. He served as a department commander for the Disabled American Veterans. He worked in private industry in Europe and the U.S. before going to work for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Dallas, where he retired in 2003.

Wallace M. Forloines (Col ’57 L/M) of Midlothian, Va., died Aug. 12, 2010. He served in the U.S. Air Force in Japan and during the Vietnam War. Dr. Forloines was a dentist and a real estate investor.

William Street III (Col ’57 L/M) of Manakin Sabot, Va., died Sept. 8, 2010. At the University, he was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity and the Inter-Fraternity Council. He worked for Concrete Pipe & Products and Street & Co. Survivors include a son, William Henry Street Jr. (Com ’87, Arch ’93).

William P. Bingham (Col ’58) of Atkinson, N.H., died Sept. 17, 2010. He served in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War. He was vice president for commercial lending at several banks during a long career in banking, including New England Merchants, Indian Head Bank and Haverhill National Bank.

Sarah Kendall Hutton Blanton (Nurs ’58 L/M) of Bristol, Tenn., died Aug. 13, 2010. She was a member of the nursing staff at the U.Va. Hospital. Ms. Blanton was one of the founders of the Bristol Crisis Center, where she served as president of its board of directors and was a principal fundraiser and crisis counselor. In 1998, when she was a four-year cancer survivor, she was named honorary chairman of the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life. Ms. Blanton helped develop a hospice program in Bristol, which became the Wellmont Hospice House, where she was a volunteer and advocate. Survivors include her husband, Frank S. Blanton Jr. (Med ’52 L/M).

Charles Sydnor Cook Jr. (Col ’58 L/M) of Richmond, Va., died May 21, 2010. At the University of Virginia, he was a member of the Jefferson Literary and Debating Society; the Honor Orientation Committee; the Lawn, Chowder & Marching Society; and won the Jefferson Gavel in Public Speaking in 1955. In his fourth year, he resided at 1 West Lawn. Rev. Cook was an Episcopal priest for 48 years and served churches in the dioceses of Southern Virginia, North Carolina and Virginia. He served as rector at St. John’s Church, Warsaw, Va., and North Farnham Church, Farnham, Va.

William Sharpless Derrick “Chip” Woods Jr. (GSBA ’58) of Franklin, Va., died Oct. 3, 2010. He served in the U.S. Air Force as a pilot. Mr. Woods worked with the Union Camp Corp. in Franklin and Smoke Rise, N.J. He retired as a senior vice president from Union Camp in 1990. Later, he was a realtor with Long & Foster in Virginia Beach. Survivors include a brother, M. Bird Woods (Arch ’58 L/M); and a son, W.S. Derrick Woods III (GSBA ’82).

Patricia Walton Eubank (Grad ’59) of Salem, S.C., died Aug. 12, 2010. She taught English, speech and drama for more than 20 years.

Gordon L. Link (Grad ’59) of Brookside, N.J., died Sept. 7, 2010. He was a member of the technical staff at Bell Labs in Murray Hill, N.J., for 29 years before retiring in 1987. Mr. Link served on the Board of Education and on the Environmental Commission of Mendham Township. He tutored students in math and language skills.

David Gray Shannon (Col ’59 L/M) of Richmond, Va., died October 1, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army from 1952 to 1955. At the University, he was a member of the Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity. Dr. Shannon was a dentist and a member of the Apollonia Dental Society.