Notices sorted by graduation date.

Frank Batten Sr. (Col ’50 L/M) of Virginia Beach died Sept. 10, 2009. He became the publisher of the Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk when he was 27 years old. After the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1954 that segregation in public schools was unconstitutional, the Virginian-Pilot was the only metropolitan daily paper in the state to endorse court-ordered desegregation. Through acquisitions of other media outlets, Mr. Batten created Landmark Communications and expanded it into one of the country’s largest privately held media corporations. The array of companies included The Weather Channel, which Batten and Landmark executives founded in 1982. Mr. Batten also served as chairman of the Associated Press. At U.Va., he donated $100 million in 2007 to establish the Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy.  He served as a trustee of the foundation for the Darden School of Business. In 1999, he gave $60 million to the foundation to create the Batten Institute to foster entrepreneurship. Survivors include a son,Frank Batten Jr. (GSBA ’84); and a daughter, Dorothy Neal Batten (GSBA ’90).

Walter M. Cart (Com ’50) of Spartanburg, S.C., died Sept. 27, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. At the University, Mr. Cart was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity. Between 1979 and 1982, he was co-owner of Crutchfield’s Sporting Goods Store. Mr. Cart was executive vice president of Eastern Motor Lines until his retirement.

George Cosby Fontaine Jr. (Col ’50 A/M) of Georgetown, S.C., died July 24, 2009. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. Mr. Fontaine served in the U.S. military during the Korean War and was a partner in Browne & Pharr Makers, a manufacturer of knives.

Robert McClelland Huff (Col ’50, Law ’52 A/M) of Charlottesville died Sept. 30, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. At the University, Mr. Huff was captain of the baseball team and a member of the football team. He was also a Range resident and a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity and the T.I.L.K.A. society. After working with State Farm Insurance for 12 years, he began a private law practice in Charlottesville. Mr. Huff also served as a substitute judge for the Charlottesville/Albemarle Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court.

Elizabeth Jayn Christie McClintock (Nurs ’50) of Richlands, Va., died May 30, 2009. She was a head nurse at the Mattie Williams Hospital prior to its closure. Survivors include her husband, John W.  McClintock Jr. (Law ’52 A/M); and her seven children, including a son, Steven D. McClintock (Col ’82, Law ’86).

Joseph Francis Gallagher (Col ’51 L/M) of Santa Monica, Calif., died Aug. 31, 2009. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity and the Jefferson Society. Mr. Gallagher had a career as an advertising executive in New York and Los Angeles and served as president of Erwin Wasey & Co.  during the 1970s. Survivors include a daughter, Lee Gallagher (Col ’83 L/M).

Jack D. Reed (Col ’51 L/M) of King George County,  Va., died Aug. 13, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army. At the University, Mr.  Reed was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. He was president of Reed Equipment Co. in Fredericksburg, Va.

James Hamilton Scott Jr. (Col ’51 L/M) of Charlottesville died April 26, 2009. At the University, he was captain of the swim team. After his service in the U.S. Coast Guard, Mr. Scott began his career in investing, retiring as a vice president of Scott & Stringfellow.  He served on the boards of many community organizations and was the founding member and treasurer of the National Alliance for Mental Illness-Blue Ridge Family Alliance, a grassroots organization for families and friends of those suffering from mental illness. He also served on the Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport Commission. Survivors include his wife, Shelah K. Scott (Educ ’74 L/M); his three children, including a son, James Hamilton Scott III (Col ’82, GSBA ’91 L/M) and a daughter, Elizabeth Lee Scott (Col ’76 L/M); a brother, Walter W. Scott (Col ’62, GSBA ’64 L/M); a nephew, Walter Scott Jr. (Col ’86, Med ’92 L/M); a niece, Constance Cardozo Costas (Col ’84); and cousins S. Buford Scott (Col ’55 L/M), H. Hudnall Ware Jr. (Col ’54, Med ’58 L/M) and Armistead M. Williams Jr. (Col ’49,  Med ’52 L/M).

Ambler G. Sutherland (Col ’51, Educ ’71) of Millboro,  Va., died April 22, 2001.

George R. Laubscher (Engr ’52 L/M) of Wayne, N.J.,  died on Aug. 26, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II, for which he was awarded the European African Middle Eastern Service Medal, among others. Mr. Laubscher was a chemical engineer for the American Cyanamid Corp.  for 35 years. Survivors include a brother, Harold W. Laubscher (Col ’50 L/M).

Charles Motier Nes III (Arch ’52 A/M) of Towson, Md.,  died Sept. 15, 2009. At the University, he was a member of St. Elmo’s Hall. He served two years of active duty in the U.S. Naval Reserve. Returning to Baltimore, he worked at the architecture firm of Palmer, Fisher, Williams and Nes, later named Fisher, Nes, Campbell and Partners. He worked on projects at Bryn Mawr School, Harford County Public Schools, St. Joseph Hospital, Second Presbyterian Church, WMAR-TV and numerous private residences. He was appointed business manager for the firm in the late ’60s. In 1974, he changed careers, becoming a stockbroker at Baker Watts.

Thierry N. Thys (Engr ’52 A/M) of Sacramento, Calif.,  died Aug. 19, 2009. He served in the U.S. Air Force. In 1956, Mr. Thys and his brother had a metal casting company in San Leandro, Calif., called Precision Founders. He designed specialized equipment, championed new casting technologies,  built an industry-leading cost accounting system and served as president of the Investment Casting Institute. Mr. Thys acquired many large customers, chiefly in the areas of nuclear power, aircraft engines and aerospace. He was also an aviator. In 1970, he made the world’s third-longest sailplane flight, a distance of 570 nautical miles. In 1976, he flew his twin-engine Piper Comanche from California across the Atlantic to the edge of the Iron Curtain. In 2002, he made the first self-launched sailplane flight from Point Barrow, Alaska, to Cape Horn.

Robert Staley Young (Col ’52) of Valdosta, Ga., died Sept. 24, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army between 1952 and 1955, then worked for 20 years at Belk Department Stores in Alabama. Later, Mr. Young was a store manager for West Point-Pepperell. He assisted in expanding the company’s outlet stores in the Southeast and opening stores in North Carolina and Georgia. He went on to obtain his real estate license and worked for the Herndon Co.

Ann B. Ashley (Nurs ’53 A/M) of Bluefield, W.Va.,  died Aug. 4, 2009. In 1953, she worked as an operating room nurse at the Bluefield Sanitarium, where she later attended anesthesia school in the 1960s.  She became a certified registered nurse anesthetist and worked with Bluefield Anesthesia Associates at Bluefield Community Hospital for 14 years. In 1991,  she was appointed anesthesia department director. She was a member of many groups, including the Beta Sigma Phi sorority, and was a volunteer for the American Cancer Society.

Charles Clinton Caldwell II (Educ ’53, ’61 A/M) of Virginia Beach died Aug. 3, 2009. An educator for 38 years, Mr. Caldwell taught and coached football at high schools in the Virginia Beach area. In 1969, Mr.  Caldwell went into school administration, serving as assistant principal at First Colonial and later at Princess Anne High School. He was principal of Kempsville Junior High School and Kempsville High School. Memorial contributions may be made to the University of Virginia’s Curry School of Education Foundation, P.O. Box 400276, Charlottesville, VA 22904.

John Archer Carter Jr. (Col ’53) of Winston-Salem,  N.C., died Aug. 4, 2009. At the University, he was a member of the Glee Club,  IMP and the Kappa Alpha Order as well as editor of the yearbook during his fourth year. Mr. Carter taught at the University for four years after serving in the U.S. Army. In 1961, he began teaching British and American literature at Wake Forest College, where he went on to become chairperson of his department and president of the university senate. Mr. Carter was active in the Victorian Periodical Society from the mid-’70s through the mid-’80s, serving as vice president and president.

William Joseph Fusco (Col ’53 L/M) of Point Pleasant,  N.J., died July 3, 2009. He was the president of JR Fusco, a Montclair-based construction company. Mr. Fusco was a candidate for election to the State Assembly of New Jersey and a longtime member of the Associated General Contractors of America and Operating Engineers Local 825.

Noble Thomson Macfarlane (Med ’53 A/M) of Lexington,  Ky., died Sept. 9, 2009. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. In 1956, Dr. Macfarlane founded the pediatric department of the Lexington Clinic.  He worked at Baby Health Services and Cardinal Hill. At the University of Kentucky Medical School, he served as a clinical professor in the pediatric and rehabilitation medicine departments and on the admissions committee for 28 years. Dr. Macfarlane served as state chairman and secretary-treasurer of the Kentucky Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics; president of St. Joseph Hospital and Cardinal Hill medical staffs; and president of the Kentucky Pediatric Society. He took great pride in being part of the team that performed the first open-heart surgery in central Kentucky 50 years ago.

Preston Sawyer Jr. (Law ’53) of Lynchburg, Va., died March 30, 2009. He served in the U.S. Navy as an officer in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps from 1953 to 1957. He went on to practice law, was a substitute judge and, at the time of his retirement, had served as the commissioner of accounts for the city of Lynchburg for more than 30 years. The Virginia Legal Aid Society and the Lynchburg Bar Association honored Mr. Sawyer in 1996 with their annual Pro Bono Award for his exemplary effort to expand legal services to the poor. Survivors include a daughter, Margaret Ann Paxton (Col ’96 L/M); and a granddaughter, Sarah M. Paxton (Col ’10 L/M).

Warren Edward Slater (Grad ’53) of Reston, Va., died July 19, 2009. At the University, he was a Range resident and a member of the Raven Society. He served in the U.S. Army following World War II and during the Korean War. Mr. Slater was a foreign service officer and served in eastern and western Europe, the Caribbean, New Zealand, El Salvador, Somalia and Washington, D.C. Survivors include daughters Daphne Slater Hays (Col ’83 L/M) and Courtney L. Slater (GSBA ’96); and a granddaughter, Jessica Julia Hays (Col ’13 L/M).

S. John Stratis (Grad ’53) of Canton, Mass., died Aug. 21, 2009. He served as an officer in the U.S. Army for 31 years. Later,  Mr. Stratis worked in quality assurance for Altran Engineering, Cygna Energy Services and Stone & Webster.

Gilbert Burnett Jr. (Med ’54) of Newport, R.I., died Sept. 13, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. After the war,  he worked for the CIA as a scientific intelligence analyst and attended the U.Va. Medical School. Mr. Burnett was a teacher at several schools, including Punahou School, Hawaii Preparatory School and Phillips Academy, Andover, before becoming chair of the science department at St. George’s School in Newport,  R.I., where he taught for 27 years. A mountaineer and outdoorsman, he was instrumental in the establishment of the Outward Bound program in the United States. Survivors include a son, Michael Burnett (Col ’77).

David Franklin Cooke (Educ ’54, ’65 L/M) of Charlottesville died July 21, 2009. At the University, he was captain of the basketball team and lettered in track as a pole vaulter. Mr. Cooke was a member of Phi Kappa Alpha fraternity. He served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers before teaching at Lane High School, where he also coached. In 1956, he founded Meadowbrook Washette. Mr. Cooke continued to expand his business ventures by opening Clearview Cleaners, U Wash It Laundromat, Carriage Cleaners, Cavalier Cleaners,  Forest Lakes Cleaners and Village Green Cleaners. He was also a principle shareholder in Carriage Food House and one of the partners who developed the Millmont Shops. He served as president of the Virginia Student Aid Foundation from 1978 to ’80. Survivors include sons David F. Cooke II (Com ’83) and Malcolm T. Cooke (Educ ’85).

Charles Meriwether McGinnis (Educ ’55 A/M) of Shipman,  Va., died July 20, 2009. He served in the U.S. Air Force stateside, as well as overseas, and was a member of the CIA. He was a coach at Lovingston High School, Nelson County High School and Virginia Military Institute.

Jimmy Lee Warren (Col ’55) of Marion, Va., died Aug.  13, 2009. He served as clerk of the Circuit Court of Smyth County for 35 years.

Thomas P. Harwood Jr. (Law ’56 L/M) of Fort Lauderdale, Fla. died Sept. 27, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army for three years and was wounded in October 1951. At the University, he was on the editorial board of the Virginia Law Review, chairman of the University Judiciary Committee and chancellor of Sigma Nu Phi legal fraternity in addition to being a member of the Kappa Alpha Order and Omicron Delta Kappa honor society. He served nine years as a member of the Industrial Commission (now the Workers’ Compensation Commission) of Virginia before becoming a judge for the Virginia State Corporation Commission, where he served from 1973 to 1992. A judicial member of the Bar Association of the City of Richmond, the Virginia State Bar and the Virginia Bar Association, Judge Harwood served as president of two regulatory conferences and as a member of the board of directors of the National Regulatory Research Institute at Ohio State University. Survivors include a son, L. Hunter Harwood (Col ’85 L/M); and a daughter, Sally C. Harwood (GSBA ’84 A/M).

Henry Skeen Ritchie (Col ’56, Med ’61 L/M) of Spartanburg, S.C., died Sept. 29, 2009. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and the P.K. Society. Dr. Ritchie served in the U.S. Air Force and became a psychiatrist. Survivors include his former wife, Rose Mary Ritchie (Nurs ’59); two daughters and four sons, including Stephen P. Ritchie (Col ’90 A/M).

Donald Everett Franklin (Engr ’57 A/M) of Austin,  Texas, died Sept. 27, 2009. He was an electrical engineer and, toward the end of his career, worked for the U.S. Department of Defense in mine detection. Mr.  Franklin taught engineering at several universities and was a lifetime member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. Survivors include a daughter, Joyce L. Franklin (Com ’87 L/M); a son, Eliot J. Franklin (Engr ’89 A/M); and his brother, Benjamin Franklin (Engr ’54 L/M).

John Wallace Tallman (Col ’57, Law ’62 L/M) of Lookout Mountain, Tenn., died Oct. 11, 2009. At the University, he was a member of the Kappa Alpha Order and Phi Alpha Delta legal fraternity. Mr. Tallman served in the U.S. Army, then practiced law in Chattanooga with Roberts, Weill & Ellis, Tallman & Harriss and Tallman, Carter and Mabee. He becamse a licensed alcohol and drug abuse counselor with the Council for Alcohol & Drug Abuse Services in Tennessee and Georgia. Survivors include a cousin, A. Ross Rommel Jr. (Col ’69 L/M).

John Cole Jr. (Med ’58 L/M) of Roanoke, Va., died Oct. 2, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army in Heidelberg, West Germany, as chief of otolaryngology. In 1965, Dr. Cole began a private practice at the Roanoke Ear, Nose and Throat Clinic, from which he retired in 1998. After his retirement,  he worked at the Salem VA Hospital Otolaryngology Clinic until September 2009.  Dr. Cole was appointed a clinical professor of otolaryngology at the University of Virginia. He served the Roanoke Academy of Medicine as president, as well as being a member of the Medical Society of Virginia, the American College of Surgeons and an examiner for the American Board of Otolaryngology. Dr. Cole served on many boards, including Blue Cross/Blue Shield and the American Cancer Society.

Daniel Desko (Educ ’58 L/M ) of Annandale, Va., died July 24, 2009. He was a retired U.S. Navy captain. Survivors include a daughter, Karen Desko (Col ’84 L/M).

Hannibal E. Howell Jr. (Med ’58) of Suffolk, Va.,  died Aug. 30, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War and received the Distinguished Service Medal. Dr. Howell worked for two years as a chemist at the Petroleum Laboratory, U.S. Naval Supply Center, where he designed and patented the tetraethyl lead digestion apparatus (catalytic converter) for fuel-injected engines that is still used in cars. He was one of the first African-Americans to be admitted to the U.Va. Medical School and was a Range resident. Dr. Howell was board certified in internal medicine and cardiology, and had a 40-year career in the private practice of medicine. Dr.  Howell served in many professional positions and on several boards, including the Sentara Hampton General Hospital, Student Health Services of Hampton University, Whittaker Memorial Hospital, Eastern Virginia Medical School, the American Board of Internal Medicine, the American Heart Association, and the American College Health Association, which established an award for achievement that is given annually in Dr. Howell’s name.

Ronald Peter Melnik (Engr ’58, GSBA ’62 L/M) of Spring Lake, N.J., died Aug. 29, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army. At the University,  Mr. Melnik played football. He was drafted by the New York Giants but decided to attend the Colgate Darden Graduate School of Business Administration instead, where, upon graduation, he joined the faculty. Mr. Melnik worked for 40 years on Wall Street.

  Richard L. Vaughn (Educ ’58, ’68) of Dinwiddie, Va.,  died Aug. 21, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. Mr.  Vaughn worked in the Lynchburg public school system and served as superintendent of schools in Franklin, Va., before becoming superintendent of Dinwiddie County Public Schools.

Fred Rudolph Gerns (Grad ’59 A/M) of Glenview, Ill.,  died Sept. 23, 2009. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War. Mr. Gerns was a research chemist at Great Lakes Chemical Corp. in West Lafayette, Ind.

Edward M. Kennedy (Law ’59) of Hyannis Port, Mass.,  died Aug. 25, 2009. At the University, he was a member of the Student Advisory Council and Phi Alpha Delta legal fraternity as well as president of the Student Legal Forum. He worked as an assistant district attorney in Massachusetts before his election to the U.S. Senate in 1962 at the age of 30.  He was the third-longest-serving senator of all time. More than 300 bills that Sen. Kennedy wrote have been enacted into law, and he played a major role in passing many pieces of legislation, including those focusing on immigration,  civil rights, expanding health care and the rights of the disabled, and education reform, including efforts to increase aid for higher education and to win passage of President George W. Bush’s No Child Left Behind Act. He ran for president in 1980 but lost the Democratic nomination to Jimmy Carter. Survivors include nephews Robert F. Kennedy Jr. (Law ’82) and Matthew Maxwell Taylor Kennedy (Law ’92).

Robert Clitherall Lawrence Jr. (Col ’59) of Stamford,  Conn., died July 13, 2009. At the University, he was a member of Chi Psi fraternity. He served in the Military Police unit of the U.S. Army. Mr.  Lawrence had a 25-year career at Pitney Bowes, from which he retired as the sales, marketing, service and administration divisions group vice president. He also served on the labor relations board and several civic boards in Stamford.