Notices sorted by graduation date.

Theodore Booth Strange (Med ’40, Res ’47) of Chestertown, Maryland, died Dec. 15, 2015. He served in the U.S. Naval Reserve during World War II. At the University, he lived on the Lawn and was a member of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity. His interest in medicine grew from his experience serving as the “doctor” on a 600-mile canoe trip to Quebec. Dr. Strange was an orthopedist in Wilmington, Delaware, for 31 years, a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. After retiring, he worked one day a week assisting with surgical cases at his local hospital. An avid sailor, Dr. Strange cruised all over the Chesapeake Bay and its rivers and creeks in his sloop sailboats. He enjoyed splitting wood, carpentry and reading. Survivors include his wife; a daughter; five sons, including Philip Strange (Educ ’78); 16 grandchildren, including Alexander Strange (Col ’07); and six great-grandchildren.

Linden “Lindy” Bass Buell (Nurs ’46) of Clifton Park and Earlville, New York, died Oct. 19, 2015. She was a nurse clinician and physician assistant who retired from Community Memorial Hospital in Hamilton, New York, after working there for 38 years. Ms. Buell was a compassionate and caring woman who always said what she meant. A woman of many talents, she kept a beautiful garden plot, read the newspaper daily and loved to crochet afghans for veteran and youth programs in Clifton Park. She also watched many Virginia Cavaliers  football and basketball games on television. Survivors include a son, a granddaughter, a grandson and two great-grandchildren.

John J. “Jack” Forst (Engr ’46, ’49 L/M) of Montgomery, Alabama, died Dec. 10, 2015. He served in the U.S. Navy. At the University, he played basketball and baseball, was a member of V Club, Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, Naval ROTC, Glee Club, Eli Banana, Theta Tau professional engineering society, Raven Society, P.K. Society and Newman Club. He was also an editor for a number of publications on Grounds, including the Cavalier Daily, Corks & Curls, Dogwatch and Jolly Rogers. Mr. Forst served as vice president of Olin Mathieson’s metals division and later was national sales manager for Lithium Corp. He loved all sports, especially golf. Survivors include his wife; a daughter, Susan Forst Wilson (Col ’82 L/M); two granddaughters, including Wesley Wilson (Col ’14); and a sister.

Dan Alfred Miller (Col ’49) of Annandale, Virginia, died Jan. 18, 2015. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. At the University, he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Mr. Miller had a three-decades-long career with the federal government. He worked his way up from a clerk typist in the Post Office Department in the 1950s to a position as a Grade 15 financial analyst in the U.S. Department of the Navy’s Naval Supply Systems Command. On his retirement in 1979, Mr. Miller received the Navy Superior Civilian Service Award. After retiring, he and his wife took many trips throughout the U.S. and overseas; they had a particular fondness for Paris, where Mr. Miller had worked after World War II. He had a passion and flair for photography and had many top-of-the-line film and digital cameras that he used to create street photographs capturing subjects in candid moments. He loved to tell stories about his time at the University, from Seal to Carroll’s Tea Room and the Virginian to boxing matches at the gym. Survivors include a daughter, Suzanne Miller (Col ’82); and a son, Robert Miller (Col ’81).

Alan R. Milne (Educ ’49) of Manchester, New Jersey, died Jan. 23, 2016. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, he was a member of the football team. Mr. Milne worked in the textile industry for many years, first as a salesman and later as an office manager for Copeland Industries in New York. He retired in 1986. An avid sports fan, he enjoyed watching college football and basketball and claimed there was no sport he had not played. Survivors include two daughters and six grandchildren.