Notices sorted by graduation date.
Channing Williams Daniel Jr. (Col ‘40 L/M) of Wilmington, N.C., died Sept. 21, 2010. At the University of Virginia, he was a member of St. Elmo Hall and Delta Phi fraternity. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. From 1946 to 1952, he worked for Trailways Bus System in Wilmington, N.C., and as superintendent of maintenance for intercity busses in Charlottesville. From 1952 to 1955, he was a sales engineer for the American Air Filter Company in Louisville, Ky. He returned to Charlottesville in 1955 and began his banking career as trust officer at Citizens Bank and Trust Company. From 1964 until he retired in 1983, he worked for Jefferson Bankshares, where he was senior vice president and trust officer as well as secretary of the board of directors. Upon retiring in 1983, Mr. Daniel returned to Wilmington, N.C. Survivors include a son, Channing Williams Daniel III (Col ‘77 L/M); a brother, Peter Vivian Daniel (Col ‘49 L/M); nephews, Peter Vivian Daniel Jr. (Col ‘73 L/M) and William Verner Daniel Jr. (Col ‘80, GSBA ‘88 L/M); a great-nephew, William Penn Daniel (Col ‘11 L/M); and a niece, Helen Hampton Daniel Carey (Col ‘85).
Patsy Lewis Mennel (Nurs ‘41) of Fostoria, Ohio, died Oct. 11, 2010. She served as a nurse in the U.S. Army. Following her discharge, she and her husband relocated to Fostoria, where she raised her family. She later became a nurse for the Fostoria City Schools and volunteered as a trustee at the Good Shepherd Home and for the American Red Cross.
O. Ashton Trice (Col ‘41, Grad ‘51) of Staunton, Va., died Oct. 11, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy. At the University, he was a library assistant in Special Collections. He joined the faculty at Mary Baldwin College in 1949, where he remained for 37 years. For nearly 20 years, every student at the college took Mr. Trice’s Introduction to Psychology course during their sophomore year. He was a staff psychologist at Western State Hospital throughout the 1950s and at the DeJarnette Hospital in the 1960s and 1970s. He also was a school psychologist for Waynesboro schools from 1956 to 1978. Mr. Trice spent much of his professional life advocating for the mentally ill and mentally disabled.
Maurice Steingold (Law ‘41 L/M) of Norfolk, Va., died Oct. 15, 2010. At the University, he was a member of the marching band and the Virginia Law Review. The youngest of five brothers, he practiced law with two of them and frequently visited his two other brothers, who were doctors, and their families. Concurrently, he worked in real estate development with his brothers and cousins. Beginning in the late 1950s, he became an avid tennis player; that interest continued for many decades and sparked him to set up a scholarship at Old Dominion University and to be a founder of the Tidewater Tennis Center. Survivors include two sons, Samuel E. Steingold (Col ‘89 L/M) and Ira Steingold (Col ‘74); and a nephew, Alvin Steingold (Grad ‘78 L/M).
Robert H. Bernhardy (Com ‘42) of Patterson Township, Pa., died Dec. 26, 2010. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II. He was a retired real estate agent with Blackwood Realty, Chippewa Township, and a former dairy farmer. Mr. Bernhardy was an avid golfer and sports enthusiast.
E. Howard Goodwin (Col ‘42 L/M) of Charlottesville died June 27, 2010. At the University, he was a member of the U.Va. football team, the IMP Society and Beta Theta Pi fraternity. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. He spent 36 years in the sales department of Bethlehem Steel Corporation, during which time he worked in Virginia, Philadelphia and New York City. In 1982, he took early retirement from Bethlehem Steel.
William Rankin Nelson (Col ‘43, Med ‘51 L/M) of Denver died Dec. 31, 2010. At the University, he was a member of Zeta Psi fraternity. Dr. Nelson served as a U.S. Army Air Forces doctor in California, Hawaii, Virginia and Japan. He later served as a surgical oncology fellow at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital in New York City. He then taught surgery at both the Medical College of Virginia and the University of Colorado School of Medicine. Dr. Nelson was a member of the American College of Surgeons, the British Association of Surgical Oncology and the Royal Society of Medicine. He served as president of the Colorado chapter of the American Cancer Society, the Society of Surgical Oncologists and the Society of Head and Neck Surgeons. His honors include receiving the University of Colorado Residents Award for Outstanding Teacher and the American Cancer Society’s St. George Medal. Dr. Nelson also was a member of the Rotary Club. Along with other physicians and health care workers from Rotary International, he created and staffed the first national health fair in the Fiji Islands. In 2004, he was voted Rotarian of the Year by the Rotary Club of Denver. Dr. Nelson traveled the world and was a student of history. He was keenly interested in Colonial Virginia and was a member of the Page-Nelson Society, the Sons of the American Revolution, the Descendants of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence and First Families of Virginia. His survivors include a daughter, Robin Nelson Russel (Col ‘78 L/M).
George G. Shackelford (Col ‘43, Grad ‘48, ‘55 L/M) of Richmond, Va., died Nov. 4, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy Reserve. A Lawn resident at the University, he was a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and the Virginia Glee Club. His first teaching job was at Birmingham Southern in Alabama from 1948 to 1949. Mr. Shackelford then worked as a research fellow at the Virginia Historical Society in Richmond before starting his teaching career as an instructor at Virginia Tech in 1955. He was instrumental in helping to start the restoration of historical Smithfield Plantation in Blacksburg under the auspices of APVA (Preservation Virginia) and worked as a historical consultant to the Westmoreland Davis Memorial Foundation, Morven Park, Leesburg, Va. He was the author of many journal articles and five books. He was also a member of the Virginia Commission on the Bicentennial of the U.S. Constitution from 1987 to 1992. He served as president of the Monticello Association from 1969 to 1971, and as a member of the board of advisers of the National Trust for Historical Preservation from 1976 to 1979. He received an award for historic preservation from the Virginia Chapter, American Institute of Architects, in 1985. He had also been president of the Southwest Virginia Branch of the English Speaking Union. Mr. Shackelford retired as a professor emeritus of history at Virginia Tech. Survivors include a niece, Kem Shackelford Courtenay (Arch ‘76 L/M).
Elbert Jemison Jr. (Col ‘44) of Birmingham, Ala., died Nov. 22, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and the golf team. Mr. Jemison was an insurance executive with Mass Mutual for more than 50 years. He was also a celebrated golfer, known as “Alabama’s Golf Ambassador.” Winner of more than 50 competitive events in an amateur competitive golf career that spanned about as many years, he was twice Alabama Amateur Champion (1957, 1958) and twice Alabama Senior Amateur Champion (1976, 1977). He was a four-time qualifier for the United States Amateur Championship. He also served as past president of the Birmingham Golf Association, the Alabama Golf Association, the Alabama Seniors Golf Association and the Southern Golf Association. His love of the game also led him to serve with great pride on the executive committee of the United States Golf Association, the governing body of American golf. In 1982, he was inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.
Roy M. Kinsey (Arch ‘44 L/M) of Salem, Va., died Dec. 9, 2010. At the University, he was a member of Theta Chi fraternity and the staff of Crust magazine. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. After earning his architecture degree, he moved his family to Roanoke and began the practice of architecture with the Roanoke firm of Smithey & Boyington. Mr. Kinsey remained in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve and was reactivated during the Korean War. He remained in the Marine Reserve after the war, eventually retiring as a colonel after serving his country for more than 35 years. In 1955, he established the architectural firm that continues today as Kinsey, Shane and Associates. Buildings designed by the firm include Salem High School, the Roanoke College Administration Building, the Roanoke College Student Union and others. Mr. Kinsey retired in 1983.
William C. Davison (Col ‘45) of Knoxville, Tenn., died Oct. 25, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. A former manager of the Knoxville office of the Anning-Johnson Co., Mr. Davison was also a construction products sales representative and a construction estimator. He was a charter member and former president of the Knoxville chapter of the Construction Specifications Institute and served three years on the board of directors of C.S.I.‘s Gulf States Region. He was a former member and past president of the Old Smoky Railway Museum. Other former memberships include the Downtown Knoxville Kiwanis Club, the board of trustees of the Bachman Memorial Home for Boys and the board of directors of the Knoxville Area Chapter of the American Red Cross.
Edwin Booth Vaden (Med ‘45 L/M) of Raleigh, N.C., died Dec. 7, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy. After a pediatric practice in Lynchburg, Va., that spanned 33 years, Dr. Vaden retired to Pawley’s Island, S.C., where he served as a volunteer physician for nearly 20 years at the Smith Medical Clinic. Survivors include a daughter, Anne Carter Vaden (Grad ‘90); and a son, Peter Booth Vaden (Col ‘75, Law ‘90 L/M).
Burdette “Bud” Bostrom (Engr ‘46) of Richmond, Va., died Dec. 9, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy. He retired in 1986 as the vice president/secretary/treasurer of Dahlstrom Manufacturing Co. after a 42-year career there. While living in Jamestown, Va., Mr. Bostrom served on the board of directors of the YMCA, the Boys Club and the United Way. He also served as a scoutmaster for the Boy Scouts of America and was a member of the National Association of Accountants.
Charles M. Herbek (Col ‘46 L/M) of Charlottesville died Oct. 29, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Nu fraternity, president of the College and chair of the Honor Committee. He joined the New York City Police Department in 1947 and received the NYPD Medal of Valor for bravery in 1948. He retired in 1964 and began a second career in educational publishing, in which he held various sales and executive positions, including director of international marketing for CBS Publishing. He moved to Bridgewater Township, N.J., in 1967 and resided there for the next 27 years. In 1992, after 25 years of service, he received the inaugural Bridgewater Mayor’s Award for his dedicated service and expert contributions to the management of the growth of the township in the late ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s. He moved to Charlottesville in 1993 and again was active in the community, especially with the University’s Miller Center of Public Affairs. His survivors include a son, Charles M. Herbek (Col ‘75, Com ‘08 L/M); and a grandson, Michael J. Herbek (Col ‘03).
Doris Spradlin Rushton (Nurs ‘46, ‘60 L/M) of Portsmouth, Va., died Nov. 7, 2010. She served in the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps during World War II. After graduation from U.Va., she became head nurse in the pediatric department of the University of Virginia Hospital and was made night supervisor, a position she occupied until 1954. From 1954 until 1959, she held the position of educational director at Lynchburg General Hospital and, on moving to the Tidewater area, accepted a position as instructor of nursing at Obici Hospital in Suffolk. She was also clinical instructor for the Norfolk General School of Practical Nursing before moving to the Chesapeake Center for Science and Technology in 1973 as a nursing instructor. Before retirement, she had dedicated more than 50 years to the nursing profession. In 1996, she was inducted into the University’s Thomas Jefferson Society of Alumni. She was a member of the Woman’s Club of Portsmouth, the Emblem Club of the Supreme Order of Elks, the National League of Nursing, and the Virginia, Norfolk and Chesapeake education associations. Survivors include a grandson, Edward Dewing (Col ‘14 L/M).
Edward Colhoun Suhling (Engr ‘46 L/M) of Lynchburg, Va., died Nov. 28, 2010. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II. At the University, he was a member of the track and field team. For many years, he ran his own small business, Suh Distributing Co. He served as director of Central Fidelity Bank, president of the Lynchburg Kiwanis Club, and scoutmaster of Boy Scout Troop 11. He loved the games of bridge and tennis and was an avid bird hunter and fisherman. He loved dogs, particularly the setters he raised from pups and trained.
Isaac Aiken Jr. (Col ‘47 A/M) of Atlanta died Oct. 14, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy. At the University, he was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity and a Lawn resident. Beginning his career in Atlanta, Mr. Aiken served on many civic and professional boards, including those of Oglethorpe University, the Georgia Easter Seals Society and the Trust Company of Georgia. He was also president of the DeKalb Chamber of Commerce and the North DeKalb Rotary Club. In 1971, Mr. Aiken and his family moved to Savannah, where he was president and chief executive officer of the Liberty National Bank (later renamed SunTrust Bank). He remained in that position until his retirement in 1989. He continued his civic service in the Savannah area, holding many leadership and advisory positions. He was president of the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences, vice president of the Savannah Area Chamber of Commerce and president and director of the Savannah Ports Authority in addition to his leadership roles for several philanthropic organizations.
Wilbur C. Allen (Col ‘47, Law ‘50) of Charlottesville died Jan. 18, 2011. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Theta Chi fraternity and a Lawn resident. He was a founding member of the law firm Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen along with his father and his two brothers. He practiced law for 50 years. He served as president of the law firm for 33 years, from 1957 to 1990. Mr. Allen was a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a fellow of the Virginia Law Foundation, and president of the Richmond Bar Association in 1979. Survivors include a brother, Ashby B. Allen (Col ‘43, Law ‘47 L/M), and two sons, W. Coleman Allen (Law ‘79, GSBA ‘79 L/M) and R. Clayton Allen (Law ‘81, GSBA ‘81).
Robert E. Browne III (Law ‘47) of Spartanburg, S.C., died Nov. 8, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy. He began the practice of law in Wilmington, N.C., as commerce counsel for Atlantic Coastline Railroad Co. In 1952, he moved to Spartanburg and joined the late T. Sam Means Jr. in the practice of law. The firm expanded over the years and Mr. Browne became the senior shareholder of Butler, Means, Evins & Browne. He was a member of the Spartanburg County Bar Association, serving as vice president on two different occasions, and received the association’s Chief Justice Claude A. Taylor Award. He was also a member of the South Carolina Bar Association and a founding member of the Fee Disputes Board, was a Life Fellow of the American Bar Association, and served for many years as an arbitrator and mediator for the American Arbitration Association.
Avery Catlin (Engr ‘47, Grad ‘60 L/M) of Charlottesville died Jan. 15, 2011. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He taught electrical engineering from 1948 to 1962 at the University and served as acting chairman of the then-new materials science department in 1962 and 1963. He went on to become the associate dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Science before becoming the first person to hold the title of executive vice president for U.Va. Mr. Catlin was instrumental in moving the school away from mainframes to smaller office computers. After stepping down from the executive vice presidency in 1982, Mr. Catlin returned to the engineering school, where he taught computer science classes. Survivors include two sons, Avery W. Catlin (Col ‘70 L/M) and Frederic F. Catlin (Col ‘78 L/M); and three daughters, Beverly L. Catlin (Med ‘82), Lee Powers Catlin (Col ‘79 L/M) and Edith Catlin Lawrence (Grad ‘82).
Opal Snow Collier (Nurs ‘47) of Charlottesville died Dec. 26, 2010. A graduate of the University’s Nursing School as part of the then Corps of Nurses, Ms. Collier retired from University of Virginia Medical Center as a registered nurse with 35 years of nursing service.
Henry A. Hitch (Com ‘47) of Huntington Beach, Calif., died Dec. 8, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces. In 1958, Mr. Hitch began his banking career with First National Bank (First Interstate Bank), where he worked first in the parking garage, and in 1974 became the president/CEO before retiring in 1985. Mr. Hitch was very involved in the community, including as chairman of the United Fund and president of the Kiwanis Club and the Wyoming Bankers Association. He was on the board of directors for the Chamber of Commerce, YMCA, Casper Water Board and the board of trustees of Casper College.
Marshall B. Hardy (Law ‘48 L/M) of Louisville, Ky., died Nov. 2, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army. He later entered his father’s firm, Hardy and Logan, retiring in 1982. He felt his civic duty lay in his continuing military service, and was for 30 years a trustee and former vice president of the Patton Museum Development Fund in Fort Knox. He served the Louisville Bar Association on several committees, including 10 years on its ethics committee. His many memberships also included the Kentucky Bar Association, the 1st Armored Division Association, the Military Order of World Wars, American Legion (Post 15), the Reserve Officers Association, the Society of the Colonial Wars and the Hereditary Order of Descendants of Colonial Governors.
Edward Klatte (Engr ‘48) of Tryon, N.C., died Dec. 3, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, Mr. Klatte lived on the Lawn. He was a glass engineer for RCA in Marion, Ind., before retiring in 1985. Mr. Klatte was past president of the Tryon Kiwanis Club, a volunteer for Meals on Wheels and a past board member of Polk Vocational Services.
Robert F. Matthews Jr. (Law ‘48) of Shelbyville, Ky., died Oct. 30, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. Appointed commissioner of finance for the state of Kentucky in the Bert Combs administration, he served from 1960 to 1963, leading to his election as Kentucky’s attorney general in 1964. After he ran for the office of lieutenant governor and was narrowly defeated by Wendell Ford in 1968, he joined the law firm of Greenebaum, Doll, and Barnett. When he retired, he was a senior partner in the successor firm, Greenebaum, Doll, and McDonald. For many years, Mr. Matthews was the volunteer chief administrative hearing officer of the City of Louisville. He served in a similar capacity on the appeals board for the City of Shelbyville. He also served on the Murray State University Board of Regents.
John P. “Ganga” Meador Sr. (Col ‘48, Grad ‘49) of Richmond, Va., died Nov. 6, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy. At the University, he was a member of the U.Va. football team. He later worked as a geologist for companies in the U.S. and Mexico. He retired in 1990 from Tarmac (previously Lonestar and Southern Materials) after 36 years.
William H. Sipe (Col ‘48, Med ‘51 L/M) of Charlottesville died Nov. 30, 2010. He served in the U.S. Air Force. At the University, he was a member of Kappa Alpha fraternity, the varsity football team, the V Club and the Raven Society. Dr. Sipe practiced urology for three years in Roanoke, Va., and 31 years in Newport News, Va., where he retired as president of the Hampton Roads Urology Clinic. In 1991, he moved to Albemarle County, where he became an associate professor of clinical urology at the University of Virginia School of Medicine for 13 years before his retirement in 2004. Dr. Sipe was associated with and a board member of many medical, urological and community societies, often serving them as an officer. He served on the U.Va. Alumni Association Board of Managers and on the Athletics Advisory Council. In 2010, he was inducted into the Harrisonburg High School Sports Hall of Fame. He always found joy in reading, following sports, and the company of his children and grandchildren, as well as in tennis and croquet. Survivors include two sons, W. Henry Sipe II (Col ‘79 L/M) and Charles Y. Sipe (Col ‘87 L/M), and a daughter, Mary Hedley Sipe (Nurs ‘84 L/M).
Hoke Horne II (Col ‘49 L/M) of Norton, Va., died Oct. 28, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army. At the University, he was a member of the Raven Society, the president of Sigma Nu fraternity and a Lawn resident. He became a tax accountant for Esso Standard Oil (Exxon) in New York. He worked for two decades at the law firm of Mullins, Winston, et al in San Antonio, Tex. He finished his career with Head Start and retired in 1999. Mr. Horne was a longtime member of the Kiwanis Club of Norton. His survivors include two sons, Hoke Horne III (Engr ‘90 L/M) and Stephen Horne (Col ‘90 L/M).
Jack B. Kite (Engr ‘49) of St. Simons Island, Ga., died Dec. 24, 2010. At the University, Mr. Kite was a member of Zeta Psi and Tau Beta Pi fraternities and served on the Inter-Fraternity Council. He was also a pitcher on the U.Va. baseball team. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces. Active in his community for years, Mr. Kite coached Little League in Roanoke, Va. He volunteered for Habitat for Humanity, was the St. Simons Island representative for the Glynn County Planning Commission and headed the East Beach Homeowners’ Association. Mr. Kite was a longtime member of the St. Simons & Sea Island Literary Society and the Inside Draw Club. He retired as president of Seaboard Construction Co., Brunswick, in 1984.
Joseph Maguschak (Engr ‘49) of New Coxeville, Pa., died Oct. 16, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army and the U.S. Navy. He was employed by Beryllium, Bundy Tubing and Harte and Co. Inc., from which he retired as a plant engineer.
John A. Ponsford (Col ‘49) of El Paso, Texas, died Dec. 9, 2010. At the University, he was a member of Kappa Alpha fraternity. Dr. Ponsford was in family practice with general surgeon Dr. Joe Floyd in El Paso for five years before completing his residency in anesthesia at Baylor Medical School in Houston. He practiced in El Paso for 32 years and retired in 1995. Dr. Ponsford was a member of the El Paso County Medical Society, American Medical Association, and Texas and American Associations of Anesthesiology. He earned his private pilot’s license at age 16 and loved flying and aircraft.