Notices sorted by graduation date.

John Stanard Archer Jr. (Col ’40) of Richmond, Va., died Dec. 28, 2009. At the University, he was a member of Chi Phi fraternity. Dr. Archer served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He practiced medicine in Richmond and was a member of the staff of the Richmond Eye & Ear Hospital and the Richmond Academy of Medicine. Dr. Archer was a volunteer physician at McGuire Veterans Hospital and the Virginia State Penitentiary.

Preston H. Dalglish (Col ’40 L/M) of Lake Wales, Fla., died Dec. 10, 2009. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II and received the Distinguished Flying Cross and two Purple Hearts. Mr. Dalglish was a textile broker in Providence, R.I., and owned his own business, Dalglish & Co.

Arthur George Keywan (Col ’40 L/M) of La Mesa, Calif., died Nov. 27, 2009. At the University, he was a member of Kappa Alpha fraternity and the basketball team, and he lettered in golf. Mr. Keywan served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He worked in the banking business in New York City, and then became a salesman. After Mr. Keywan retired as a vice president of the Grolier Corp. in California, he started a business producing educational materials.

Brainard Johnson Belmore (Com ’41 L/M) of Fredericksburg, Va., died Dec. 24, 2009. He joined the U.S. Navy during World War II, ending his tour as the commanding officer of the USS PC-550. Cmdr. Belmore then assumed command of the USS PGM-32 in the Pacific theater. After the war, he served at the Pentagon, and went on to become the executive officer of the USS Rankin. After his military retirement in 1967, he served 14 years at the Newport News Naval Shipyard. He was a member of the Military Officers Association of America.

Mosby Gooding Cardozo (Com ’41 L/M) of Virginia Beach died Dec. 1, 2009. At the University, he was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, the IMP Society and the Seven Society. He was also quarterback of the football team and played varsity baseball. Mr. Cardozo served as a pilot in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II and continued as a pilot with Pan American Grace Airways (Panagra) and Braniff International until his retirement in 1980.

Rosalind Strong Parker Collins
(Grad ’41 A/M) of Tallahassee, Fla., died Dec. 16, 2009. She taught history at various schools, including Leon High School in Tallahassee. Later, she worked as a licensed practical nurse at Miracle Hill nursing home.

Harold Love McGeorge Jr. (Com ’41 A/M) of Memphis, Tenn., died Aug. 24, 2009. At the University, he was a member of Chi Phi fraternity. Mr. McGeorge served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. During his career in business management, he worked for Staff-O-Life, Nutrena Feeds and Cargill Inc. before retiring in 1982. Mr. McGeorge began a second career with Boyle Investments, where he was business manager of Stonebridge Golf Club and Farmington Country Club until 1991.

Robert McClaugherty Richardson (Law ’41 L/M) of Bluefield, W.Va., died Oct. 19, 2009. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. Mr. Richardson practiced law with the firm of Richardson and Kemper in Bluefield. He served as assistant prosecuting attorney of Mercer County, was a member of the West Virginia House of Delegates and chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. He was a member of the board of directors of Bluefield Supply Co., Sovereign Coal Group and Bluefield Rescue Squad; and a member of the board of trustees of Hampden-Sydney College.

Arlene Witt Stoller (Nurs ’41 L/M) of Roanoke, Va., died Dec. 31, 2009. She was a longtime volunteer and served on the boards of the Girl Scouts, the League of Women Voters and the Roanoke Democratic Women.

Betty Willis Whitehead
(Med ’41 L/M) of Danville, Va., died Nov. 23, 2009. She and her husband, Philip Cary Whitehead (Med ’41), practiced medicine in Chatham, Va. Dr. Betty Whitehead served as physician for Chatham Hall. She moved to Sweet Briar College to serve as college physician for seven years. Later, she became the first director of the Danville and Pittsylvania County Mental Health and Mental Retardation Services board, now known as the Community Services board. She retired in 1986. Dr. Whitehead was a life member of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Charles Willard Ashby (Engr ’42 L/M) of Birmingham, Ala., died Oct. 31, 2009. At the University, he was a member of Theta Tau fraternity and the honorary fraternity Omicron Delta Kappa. Mr. Ashby served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He founded an electrical equipment company, the Charles W. Ashby Co., in Birmingham.

S. Bolling Hobbs (Law ’42 L/M) of Lynchburg, Va., died Sept. 24, 2009. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. During the D-Day invasion, his ship sent men to board and capture the German submarine U-505 off the coast of Africa. At the time of his discharge in 1946, he was commanding officer of the USS Donneff. Mr. Hobbs began practicing law after the war, and was a partner in the firm of Caskie & Frost for most of his career. He also served as Lynchburg’s city attorney from 1950 to 1953 and he was special counsel to the Lynchburg City School Board during the years leading up to and following integration of its schools. After he retired from the practice of law, he built his “field of dreams” golf course at the Lynchburg Camp on the Cowpasture River in Bath County, Va. Survivors include a daughter, Katherine Hobbs Burnett (Educ ’81); a son-in-law, Walter David Burnett (Com ’76 A/M); and granddaughters Carson Hobbs Sullivan (Col ’97 L/M), Sarah Hobbs Hoffman (Col ’00 L/M) and Katherine Stewart Burnett (Col ’08 L/M).

Dexter Nye Smith (Col ’42 L/M) of Salem, Va., died Oct. 25, 2009. He was a chemist and worked at Allied Chemical Co.

William Alfred Bowron
(Col ’43 L/M) of Birmingham, Ala., died Nov. 15, 2009. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and the Alpha Chi Sigma honorary fraternity. Mr. Bowron served in the U.S. Army during World War II and received two Bronze Battle Stars. He was an officer of the Bank for Savings and Loan in Birmingham before joining the Donovan Coffee Co. in 1955. Under his leadership, Red Diamond, a subsidiary of Donovan Coffee Co., grew from an Alabama company to one that had sales in 43 states, Mexico and the Caribbean. Mr. Bowron served as president of the Southern Coffee Association, on the board of the Tea Association of the USA and on the advisory board of the National Coffee Association. Survivors include sons William A. Bowron Jr. (Col ’75 L/M) and Thomas W. Bowron II (Col ’80 L/M).

Pascal W. Cooper
(Col ’43 L/M) of Harrisonburg, Va., died Oct. 8, 2009. He shared authorship in two articles published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society and a patent resulted from research he did at the University of Ohio on a plant hormone. Mr. Cooper worked as a chemist at the Merck and Co. Stonewall Plant in Elkton from 1949 to 1984, when he retired as section head of chemistry. He was a trustee of the Shenandoah College and Conservatory of Music, and past commissioner of the Harrisonburg Department of Parks and Recreation. Mr. Cooper played tennis and competed in local tournaments for more than 50 years.

Carleton Penn II (Col ’43, Law ’48 L/M) of Leesburg, Va., died Aug. 26, 2009. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II and received a Silver Star and a Purple Heart. He became an associate of Elijah B. White in Leesburg and opened his own law office in 1950. He was appointed trial justice and juvenile and domestic relations judge of Loudoun County, Va. In 1968, Judge Penn was appointed commonwealth’s attorney. In 1970, he was elected by the General Assembly to the bench of the Circuit Court for Loudoun, Fauquier and Rappahannock counties, where he presided until his retirement in 1987. He continued to sit as a retired judge in the courts until 2004. He served on the condemnation commission of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, acquiring lands for Dulles Airport, the Dulles Airport Access Road and other federal projects.

Thomas Hardy Todd Jr. (Com ’43 L/M) of Memphis, Tenn., died June 27, 2009. At the University, he was a member of the track team, St. Elmo Hall, Eli Banana and the IMP Society. Mr. Todd served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He worked in the cotton business and served two terms as a state senator in Nashville and four terms as a Memphis city councilman. Mr. Todd also served as executive assistant to Mayor Dick Hackett and on the boards of Memphis University School, the Plough Community Foundation, First Federal Savings and Loan and the President’s Council at Rhodes College. Survivors include a brother, George C. Todd (Col ’51 A/M).

Charles Robert Walter Jr. (Col ’43, Grad ’50 A/M) of Charlottesville died Nov. 12, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. Captured during a 1944 mission, Mr. Walter spent the remainder of the war in a P.O.W. camp and received a Purple Heart. Mr. Walter was a professor of chemistry at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He then became a chemist for Allied Chemical in Hopewell, Va. In 1966 he joined what was then George Mason College, a satellite of the University of Virginia, as chairman of its new chemistry department. Mr. Walter retired in 1987.

David S. Cooper (Col ’44) of Charlotte, N.C., died Aug. 11, 2009.

Lucie Guerrant Gillespie Greever (Arch ’44) of Burke’s Garden, Va., died Aug. 25, 2009. She worked as an architect in Bluefield, W.Va., and in Virginia. Her work can be seen in structures throughout Tazewell County. Ms. Greever was a board member and chairwoman of the Crab Orchard Museum. Survivors include her husband, Edgar Philip Greever (Col ’50).

Marion Louise Cowherd Janney (Nurs ’44) of Luray, Va., died Aug. 28, 2009. She served as a nurse at the University of Virginia Hospital during World War II. Ms. Janney was a member of the Leaksville Home Demonstration Club and of Page Memorial Hospital Auxiliary. Survivors include a son, Robert S. Janney (Col ’71, Law ’74); a granddaughter, Caroline E. Janney (Col ’98, Grad ’01, ’05 A/M); and a grandson, Andrew S. Janney (Col ’05).

Robert J. Frank (Col ’45, Med ’50 L/M) of Newport News, Va., died Dec. 24, 2009. He had a medical practice in Hampton Roads for more than 45 years. With his wife, children and friends, Dr. Frank founded and led R&R Construction, a real estate development company. Survivors include a son, Jonathan E. Frank (Arch ’73 L/M); and a grandson, Jeffrey L. Frank (Col ’07 A/M).

Bernard Ginsberg
(Col ’45) of Birmingham, Ala., died Oct. 30, 2009. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, Mr. Ginsberg was a member of Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity. He owned and operated movie theaters in New York before he retired.

Miriam Elaine Jaffe (Grad ’45) of Falmouth, Mass., died Oct. 26, 2009. An astronomer, she taught at Wellesley College, the University of Southern California, Haverford College and Purdue University. Ms. Jaffe wrote several articles published in astronomy journals.

Raeburn Carson Llewellyn (Med ’45 L/M) of New Orleans died Oct. 18, 2009. He served in the U.S. Air Force as a flight surgeon. Dr. Llewellyn became a member at the Ochsner Clinic in 1952 and then professor and chairman of the department of neurological surgery at Tulane University School of Medicine in 1960. He returned to private practice in 1979. Dr. Llewellyn continued treating chronic pain until his retirement in 2001. Survivors include a daughter, Patricia Lee Llewellyn (Col ’80 A/M).

Paul Sahak Derian (Col ’46, Med ’51 A/M) of Marion, Va., died Oct. 31, 2009. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, he was a member of the Raven Society and Sigma Xi medical fraternity. He was also captain of the U.Va. baseball team. For 20 years, Dr. Derian served as professor and chief of orthopaedic surgery at the University of Mississippi, where he promoted racial equality, desegregation and equal medical care during the civil rights era. Later, he had a private orthopaedic surgery practice in Marion. Dr. Derian was a runner and competed in local, state and national races.

Henry F. Neighbors
(Col ’46 L/M) of Charlottesville died Dec. 9, 2009. Before he attended the University, he worked at the Pentagon as a payroll witness and courier for the Office of the Adjutant General. At the University, Mr. Neighbors co-captained the first championship baseball team and later was recruited by the former Brooklyn Dodgers as a pitcher. His career in baseball ended when he injured his pitching shoulder in his first season. After working in the Washington, D.C., area, Mr. Neighbors joined Procter & Gamble Co. in Cincinnati, working in its advertising media department between 1951 and 1981. He formed a vocal-jazz group, Close Company, which performed at clubs, pubs and private parties. After he moved to Charlottesville, he played violin in the Charlottesville and University Symphony Orchestra and the Lynchburg Symphony Orchestra, and tuba in the Charlottesville Municipal Band.

Carl F. Rogge Jr. (Law ’47) of New York City died Nov. 23, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Mr. Rogge retired as a partner in the New York law firm of Lord Day & Lord, Barrett Smith.

Lucien Wulsin III (Law ’47) of Boulder, Colo., died Aug. 23, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Mr. Wulsin became chairman of Baldwin Piano & Organ Co. in 1961. During his tenure, Baldwin Co. research contributed to American space flight, a nine-foot concert grand was unveiled and Baldwin Co. stock began trading on the New York Stock Exchange. Mr. Wulsin served as an original member of the board of trustees of Naropa University. In 2006, a dance studio at the Nalanda campus of Naropa University was named after him, as is the Lucien Wulsin Scholarship in the Performing Arts, which is awarded to two students at Naropa University each year. In 2007, the Denver Foundation honored Mr. Wulsin with the Minoru Yasui Community Volunteer Award. He was also a trustee of the Colorado Arts Council and a board member of National Public Radio.

William H. Diamond (Law ’48 A/M) of Reading, Mass., died Dec. 13, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. Mr. Diamond was a longtime attorney and former president of the Middlesex County Bar Association.

John Spears Ellett II (Engr ’48, Law ’57, Grad ’61 L/M) of Charlottesville died Dec. 22, 2009. He served in the U.S. armed forces during World War II. Mr. Ellett worked for the family business, Virginia Carolina Hardware Co. in Richmond, Va., and then for the law firm of Musselman & Drysdale in Charlottesville. He taught at Washington and Lee University, the University of Florida and was a professor of taxation at the University of New Orleans. A certified public accountant, Mr. Ellett was involved with the University of New Orleans’ Oil and Gas Accounting Conference, Energy Accounting and Tax Conference and Estate Planning Seminar. In 2007, his former students and the Society of Attorney-CPAs honored Mr. Ellett for his teaching.

Royce Linton Holsey Jr.
(Col ’48, Med ’53 L/M) of Stone Mountain, Ga., died Aug. 28, 2009. He was a family practitioner specializing in general surgery for 33 years and served as chief of staff and chairman of the department of surgery at Carter County Memorial Hospital in Elizabethton, Tenn. Dr. Holsey developed Hermitage Nursing Home and was the medical director of both Hermitage and Hillview nursing homes. Survivors include his wife, Doris Ann Bell Holsey (Nurs ’50 L/M).

Gordon Thomas Kinder (Law ’48 A/M) of Naples, Fla., died Dec. 17, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Mr. Kinder worked with his father and brother in the practice of law with Kinder, Kinder & Kinder in Brookside, Ohio, until his retirement in 1992. He was a board member of Wheeling Pittsburgh Steel and Pipe Coupling Manufacturing in the 1960s. He later served as board chair of the Wheeling Stamping Co. and Thatcher Manufacturing in Muscatine, Iowa.

Paige Harvey Clanton (Col ’49 A/M) of Johnson City, Tenn., died Jan. 8, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II and the Korean War and was part of the force that liberated the Dachau concentration camp in 1945. Mr. Clanton worked for Pfizer Laboratories as a medical service representative for 32 years.

Catesby G. Jones Jr. (Col ’49, Law ’51) of Gloucester, Va., died Dec. 10, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Mr. Jones practiced law in Gloucester County from 1951 to 2009 and served as the county’s commonwealth’s attorney and commissioner of accounts. Survivors include a daughter, Latane J. Avery (Col ’84 L/M); and a son, Catesby B. Jones (Col ’87 L/M).

Stanley E. Preiser (Col ’49) of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., died Dec. 17, 2009. He began practicing law in the early 1950s in West Virginia, but ultimately appeared in court in more than 25 states. Mr. Preiser litigated cases of all types, from major criminal defense to civil matters involving product liability, medical negligence and various commercial aspects. Among other honors, Mr. Preiser had been inducted into the American Trial Lawyer Hall of Fame.

James C. Slaughter
(Col ’49, Law ’41 L/M) of New York City died Dec. 15, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Mr. Slaughter was a partner at the law firm of Hahn, Hessen, Margolis & Ryan. He was also an executive with Reeves Bros., the CEO of James Talcott (now Leucadia National Corp.) and chairman of Associated Metals & Minerals. Since 1981, Mr. Slaughter had served as managing director of the Horace W. Goldsmith Foundation. He also served on the boards of the Metropolitan Opera, Carnegie Hall, the American Friends of the British Museum and the American Associates of the Royal Academy, and was a board member emeritus of the University of Virginia School of Law.

Charles H. Snead (Col ’49 A/M) of Salem, Va., died Oct. 27, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Mr. Snead worked in sales in Jacksonville, Fla., and then Atlanta before returning to Salem in the 1970s, where he managed the Windsor Motel until 2000.

John Vernon Torbert Jr. (Col ’49, Med ’53 L/M) of Lynchburg, Va., died Oct. 14, 2009. At the University, he was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha honorary society. Dr. Torbert practiced internal medicine and hematology between 1959 and 1994. He presided as chief of staff over Lynchburg General Hospital for many years.