Notices sorted by graduation date.
Richard W. Carrington Jr. (Col ’40) of Richmond, Va., died Nov. 7, 2011. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. Mr. Carrington was based in Pearl Harbor on the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise and was on leave to serve in a friend’s wedding in Richmond at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor. He continued his Navy career through the Reserves and was recalled to active duty during the Korean War, later retiring at the rank of commander. At the University, he was a Lawn resident and a member of the Fraternity of Delta Psi (St. Anthony Hall), Eli Banana and the Thomas Jefferson Society. Mr. Carrington was a leaf tobacco dealer with Carrington & Micheaux for four decades. Survivors include two sons, Richard W. Carrington III (Col ’71 L/M) and Timothy T. Carrington (Col ’73).
Thomas R. Jones (Educ ’40 L/M) of Franklin, Va., died Dec. 20, 2011. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces in the Pacific during World War II. He taught and coached sports in the Nansemond County schools and managed his family’s retail business in Holland, Va., before becoming manager of the Suffolk office of the Virginia Employment Commission. He was active in civic and community affairs, serving on the boards of the Obici Hospital, the Salvation Army and the United Way, among others. Survivors include two sons, Thomas Rawles Jones Jr. (Col ’70, Law ’73 L/M) and Christopher Harvey Jones (Col ’73 L/M); and a granddaughter, Stacy Jones Ries (Col ’95 L/M).
Winifred Coleman Moore (Nurs ’40) of Georgetown, S.C., died April 11, 2012. She served as a nurse in the U.S. Army and continued to help others as a volunteer nurse at the Smith Medical Clinic. Ms. Moore also delivered Meals on Wheels.
Adrian B. Fink Jr. (Col ’42 L/M) of Beachwood, Ohio, died June 29, 2012. He served in the U.S. Navy as a battalion commander at Harvard and earned two battle stars in the Pacific. He later served in the Naval Reserve. He began his law practice in Ohio and, in 1950, won a seat in the Ohio House of Representatives. In 1953, he left the House to serve as a prosecutor in the U.S. Justice Department’s criminal division in Washington, D.C. In 1955, Mr. Fink returned to private practice in Cleveland and concentrated on defense law. He served as a judge on the Ohio Common Pleas Bench in the 1970s and won many awards from legal groups, including six from the Ohio Supreme Court. He spent seven years at the Cuyahoga Court of Common Pleas and many years as a private lawyer, handling tax issues and contracts for celebrities. Mr. Fink also wrote and lectured widely.
Dorothy Burruss Anthony (Nurs ’43) of Danbury, Conn., died May 31, 2012. She began her nursing career in 1944 at McGuire Hospital, tending to veterans injured in World War II. In 1945, she and her husband moved to New Jersey, where she continued to work as a nurse at Mountainside Hospital in Montclair until her daughter was born. Ms. Anthony returned to nursing in the 1970s, working at the Greenwood Convalescent Home in Hartford, Conn., and as a school nurse for the Kent School, a private school in Kent, Conn. She had a lifelong interest in art and continued to paint throughout her retirement. Survivors include a brother, Thomas M. Burruss (Col ’51).
Edward J. Robeson III (Col ’43, Darden ’62) of York, S.C., died August 5, 2012. He served in the U.S. Navy as commanding officer in the Pacific during World War II, where he landed forces during the battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. At the University, he was a member of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity. Throughout his business career, Mr. Robeson worked for Biggs Furniture Co. in Richmond, Va.; Robeson Fogging Co. in Augusta, Ga.; the nylon division of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co. in Martinsville, Va.; Monsanto Corp. in Pensacola, Fla., and Greenwood, S.C. He also served as plant manager of Park Seed Co. in Greenwood, S.C., and as president of Schlegel Manufacturing Co. in Chester, S.C. Mr. Robeson served on many boards, service organizations and agencies, such as the Salvation Army and Rotary International.
Richard W. “Dick” Wiltshire (Col ’43 L/M) of Richmond, Va., died on May 29, 2012. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps in World War II and was a member of the honor guard at the funeral of Franklin D. Roosevelt. At the University, he was a member of the Fraternity of Delta Psi (St. Anthony Hall), the Seven Society, IMP Society, T.I.L.K.A. and the Judiciary Committee and served as president of the College of Arts & Sciences and chair of the Honor Committee. Mr. Wiltshire began his career in the agency department of Home Beneficial Life Insurance Co. and became its first director of training. He later became the president, then CEO, and retired as chairman of the board in 1997. He served on the boards of the University of Richmond and Richmond Memorial Hospital, among others. He was a life trustee of Collegiate School and honorary life trustee of the Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges. In 1998, he was awarded the Distinguished Citizen Award by the Boy Scouts of America. Survivors include a granddaughter, Ashley Massie Doyle (Col ’92 L/M); and two grandsons, William B. Wiltshire Jr. (Col ’96, Darden ’03 L/M) and Richard W. Wiltshire III (Com ’01 L/M).
Arthur Ebbert Jr. (Col ’44, Med ’46, Res ’52 L/M) of Hamden, Conn., died June 7, 2012. He served in the U.S. Army in Japan as a medical officer. After his military service, Dr. Ebbert returned to the University to complete his residency and, upon completion of the program, joined the School of Medicine faculty as an instructor. He joined the Yale School of Medicine faculty in 1953 and became a professor of medicine, later serving as assistant dean and associate dean. He became the school’s first deputy dean in 1974 and served in that position until 1987. Dr. Ebbert was the editor of the Yale School of Medicine alumni bulletin from 1953 to 1986, an honorary trustee of the Associates of Cushing/Whitney Medical Library and fellow of Silliman College at Yale. He retired in 1988.
William A. MacIlwaine III (Col ’44, Med ’47, Res ’49 L/M) of Charlottesville died July 6, 2012. At the University, he was a member of the Honor Committee and Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity and served as president of the medical school class of 1947. He was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha, the national medical school honor society; Omicron Delta Kappa, the national leadership honor society; and the Raven Society. Dr. MacIlwaine was a resident and later a fellow in internal medicine at the University of Virginia Hospital. In 1951, he began practicing internal medicine in Waynesboro, Va., and served as a part-time physician at DuPont, General Electric, and Virginia Metalcrafters. He was medical examiner for the Commonwealth of Virginia and clinical assistant professor of internal medicine at the University of Virginia School of Medicine and was affiliated with a number of hospitals in central Virginia. Dr. MacIlwaine was active in many civic affairs and regularly attended University athletic events. Survivors include two sons, William A. MacIlwaine IV (Col ’71, Med ’75 L/M) and John C. MacIlwaine (Col ’74, Med ’78 L/M).
Emerson Warfield Smith (Engr ’44) of Charlottesville died April 24, 2012. At the University, he was a member of the Tau Beta Pi engineering honor society and the Raven Society. He returned to the University in 1949 as an assistant professor of mechanical engineering. Mr. Smith later joined North American Aviation in Columbus, Ohio, and was chief engineer for the NAAV Rockwell OV-10 Bronco, a turboprop light attack and observation aircraft. He joined the U.S. Postal Service in 1971 and was director of design and construction for the first Postal Service building to be heated and cooled by solar energy.
A. Richard “Dick” Harris (Com ’48 L/M) of Avon, Conn., died May 22, 2012. He served in the U.S. Navy on the USS Missouri, where he was present for the Japanese surrender. At the University, he was a member of Phi Epsilon Pi fraternity. After graduation, Mr. Harris moved to Connecticut and established Harris Office Equipment, later Richard Harris Interiors. He was a founding member of the Hartford Ballet and president of the West Hartford Art League. For decades, he was involved with the Greater Hartford YMCA, where he served on the board of trustees and as treasurer. He was an avid bridge, golf and tennis player who enjoyed watercolor painting. Survivors include a son, Steven R. Harris (Col ’73).
Edgar Huell “Ed” Lawman Jr. (Col ’48) of Cleveland, Tenn., died July 3, 2012. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces as a fighter pilot in China during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Eli Banana.
Charles R. Wicke (Col ’48) of Victoria, Canada, died July 4, 2012. He served in the U.S. Army at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. While at the University, he lived on the Lawn. Mr. Wicke received his PhD from the University of Arizona in 1965 and in 1977 moved to Victoria to join the University of Victoria art history faculty. He retired to Mexico in 1988.
William Eskridge Duke Jr. (Engr ’49 L/M) of Richmond, Va., died on May 31, 2012. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. Mr. Duke later graduated from the Naval Submarine School in New London, Conn., and served in the Atlantic submarine fleet. He resigned his commission to join the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Co. (later Verizon). He became a registered professional engineer and served as president of the Richmond chapter of the Virginia Society of Professional Engineers. In retirement, he was active in many community historical and genealogical organizations. Survivors include two daughters, Margaret Duke Lundvall (Col ’80 L/M) and Lucy Duke Tonacci (Col ’82 L/M); and a grandson, David M. Tonacci (Com ’12 L/M).
James E. Griffin (Engr ’49 L/M) of Alexandria, Va., died Feb. 6, 2012. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and later served as an officer in the 936th Engineer Aviation Group in the Army Reserve. At the University, he was a member of Theta Tau, the professional engineering fraternity. After graduation, he worked at the U.S. Army Engineer Research & Development Laboratory at Fort Belvoir, Va., where he became chair of the engineering department and later served as a member of the NATO Armaments Committee that established electrical standards for NATO military equipment. In 1966, he went to work at ACF Industries Nuclear Products Division as chief of the reactor control group and was granted a patent on a gas-cooled reactor process control. He returned to government service in 1967 as technical director and deputy project manager of the Mobile Electric Power Project within the Department of Defense. Mr. Griffin retired in 1976, but remained active in the Southeast Fairfax Development Corp., working toward the redevelopment and upgrading of U.S. Route 1. Survivors include a brother, B. Franklin Griffin Jr. (Engr ’50 L/M).
Richard Lawrence Hoffman (Col ’49) of Martinsville, Va., died June 10, 2012. In 1960, he began a 28-year teaching career in Radford University’s biology department. Mr. Hoffman joined the Virginia Museum of Natural History as curator of recent invertebrates in 1989, a position he held until his retirement in 2009. He continued to work at the museum as curator emeritus until his death. During the course of his career, he wrote more than 500 scientific publications, identifying hundreds of new species and building a reputation as a foremost authority on millipedes. Mr. Hoffman co-founded the Virginia Natural History Society and was an editor of numerous biology journals. He was the recipient of many teaching and scientific research awards, among them the Virginia Lifetime Achievement Award from the Virginia Museum of Natural History.
Robert Earl Parr (Com ’49) of Louisville, Ky., died June 6, 2012. He served in the U.S. Army’s Air Transport Command in India from 1943 to 1946. At the University, he was a Lawn resident. Mr. Parr was employed by Colonial Stores/Big Star for more than 30 years. He was a member of the Elizabeth Lodge of the Ancient, Free & Accepted Masons in Norfolk, Va. Mr. Parr was a talented pianist and avid gardener who loved entertaining his friends and family.