Notices sorted by graduation date.

Richard W. Carrington Jr. (Col ’40) of Richmond, Va., died Nov. 7, 2011. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War. At the University, he was a member of St. Anthony’s Hall fraternity and the Eli Banana society. Later, he was an officer of the leaf tobacco dealer Carrington & Micheaux, where he worked for four decades. Survivors include a son, Richard W. Carrington III (Col ’71 L/M).

John “Jack” W. Hollowell (Med ’46, ’47 L/M) of Portsmouth, Va., died Dec. 7, 2011. He served in the U.S. Navy Medical Corps. After receiving his medical degrees, Dr. Hollowell returned to Portsmouth to become the city’s first urologist. In addition to practicing urology for four decades, he was an attending urologist and chair of the surgical departments at both Portsmouth General and Maryview hospitals, a consultant to Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, and an assistant professor in the department of urology at Eastern Virginia Medical School. Dr. Hollowell’s other professional accomplishments included terms of service as president of the Medical Society of Virginia, president of the Tidewater Urological Society and president of the Portsmouth Academy of Medicine. He also served on the boards of directors of Portsmouth General Hospital, Tidewater Health Care, Eastern Virginia Health Systems, Tidewater Regional Health Planning Council and the Hampton Roads Health Coalition, among others. He was a member of the Rotary Club of Portsmouth for 55 years, which he served as president and where he was a Paul Harris Fellow. The Virginia General Assembly issued a joint resolution in 1993 commending Dr. Hollowell for his distinguished career of service to the citizens of Portsmouth and the Commonwealth. Survivors include a granddaughter, Lesley Hollowell Amnunziata (Educ ’82).

Walter Copley McLean (Med ’46, ’47 L/M) of Charlottesville died Nov. 11, 2011. After attending medical school at the University, he interned at the University of Virginia Hospital while serving as a lieutenant in the United States Navy Medical Corps. From 1949 until July 1952, he practiced family medicine in South Hill, Va. In 1952, Dr. McLean was appointed a fellow in the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Virginia under the guidance of Dr. Byrd Leavell before completing a residency in otolaryngology. After obtaining his board certification, Dr. McLean joined the local practice of Hedges, Fitzhugh, Humphries, and Crigler. He practiced there as well as at the Martha Jefferson Hospital and at the University of Virginia Medical Center, where he was a professor until his retirement in 1998. Dr. McLean contributed to many organizations, serving as chairman of the Charlottesville School Board; a board member of St. Anne’s-Belfield School; a member of the University of Virginia Medical School Admissions Committee; president of the Medical Society of Virginia and a board member of the University of Virginia Health Services Foundation, among others. Survivors include his wife, Peggy Kleppinger McLean (Nurs ’45); four sons, W. Copley McLean Jr. (Med ’75, ’79 L/M), Mark A. McLean (Educ ’76 L/M), Peter K. McLean (Col ’78 L/M) and Christopher L. McLean (Col ’86 L/M); and a daughter, Martha McLean Rodgers (Educ ’84, Nurs ’88).

Charles E. Hamm (Col ’47) of Lebanon, N.H., died Oct. 16, 2011. He served in the Marine Corps during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity, the Glee Club and the marching band. Later, he held professorships at Tulane University, the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana and Dartmouth College, where he was named the Arthur R. Virgin Professor of Music in 1976 and chair of the department of music. He also held visiting professorships at the University of Texas at Austin, Hamilton College, Brooklyn College and New York University, among others. In 1976, he made a lecture tour of music schools in India under a Fulbright grant, and in 1988, he made a similar lecture tour of the Peoples’ Republic of China. One of the first musicologists to study popular music, he was a founding member of the International Association for the Study of Popular Music, twice serving as chairperson of that organization. Two of his books, Yesterdays: Popular Song in America (1979) and Music in the New World (1983), both published by Norton, became standards in their field, and the latter was awarded the first Irving Lowens Book Award by the Society for American Music. He served as president of the American Musicological Society and was elected an honorary member of that society in 1993. The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers gave him special recognition in 1998 for his work on Irving Berlin, and the Society for American Music presented him with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2002. Other awards included a Guggenheim Fellowship, a Fulbright research grant and several grants from the American Council of Learned Societies.

Opal Wages Henney (Nurs ’47) of Woodside, Calif., died Nov. 20, 2011. After graduation, she moved to California, where she earned her nursing license. She was employed by Kaiser Hospital in Redwood City for 26 years, and was a member of the California Nurses Association. Ms. Henney enjoyed antiques and was an active participant of the Woodside Village Church Rummage Sale, where she was especially appreciated for her expertise with donated jewelry.

Hazel Dickens Rowe (Nurs ’47) of Johnson City, Tenn., died June 12, 2011. She was an employee of the former Johnson City Memorial Hospital from 1962 until her retirement as a cardiac nurse from the Johnson City Medical Center in 1992. Ms. Rowe loved her family, the beach at Edisto Island, reading and gardening, especially the challenge of growing orchids.

E. Wayne Gilley (Med ’48 L/M) of Lookout Mountain, Tenn., died Dec. 6, 2011. After receiving his medical degrees, Dr. Gilley was awarded a fellowship at the Mayo Clinic. During his two years at Mayo, he spent his first year in cardiovascular diseases and his second year in pulmonary diseases. In 1953, Dr. Gilley relocated to Chattanooga, where he became an associate of the Campbell Clinic. In 1955, Dr. Gilley was certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, and was elected a fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American College of Chest Physicians. In 1960, he was elected president of the Tennessee Society of Internal Medicine and the Tennessee Chapter of the American College of Physicians. In 1977, Dr. Gilley served as the first chairman of the board of directors of North Park Hospital, now know as Memorial North Park, a position he held until his retirement in 1992. Survivors include a son, James Gilley (Med ’77).

Thomas Hodge (Com ’49) of Henderson, Ky., died Dec. 27, 2011. He served in the U.S. Army. At the University, he was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity. He later joined his family’s business, Hodge Tobacco Co., in Owensboro, Ky., and Kingsville, Ontario, serving as its president. Following the dissolution of the tobacco business in the early 1970s, he became a stockbroker at Hilliard Lyons, where he worked for more than 20 years.

John McQueen Mills (Col ’49) of Altamonte Springs, Fla., died Sept. 30, 2011. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. The Rev. Mills was ordained a deacon on May 1, 1952, and received ordination as a priest on Nov. 11, 1952. He served as a priest in several parishes: Stanford, N.Y.; Schenectady, N.Y.; and in Bellows Falls and Chester, Vermont, among others. He retired from St. Saviour’s Church in Maspeth, N.Y., in 1989.

Walter Preston Stuart Jr. (Engr ’49) of Richmond, Va., died Nov. 11, 2011. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and the Raven Society, and served as president of Student Council. He worked for Daniel International for many years, retiring as project manager for the northeast region for Daniel Fluor in 1984. Mr. Stuart later served as a construction consultant for the Virginia Department of Corrections on various prison-building projects. He enjoyed trout fishing, in pursuit of which he traveled annually to Scotland and the Canadian Rockies. Survivors include two sons, Hugh B. Stuart (Col ’85) and Walter P. Stuart III (Engr ’82, GSBA ’90).