Notices sorted by graduation date.

Jerome P. Carr II (Law ’34) of Portsmouth, Va., died Sept. 6, 2009. He was an attorney with the tax division of the U.S. Department of Justice from 1934 to 1939 and in private practice in Charleston, W.Va., from 1939 to 1943. Mr. Carr served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He had a private law practice and was president of the Portsmouth Bar Association. Mr.  Carr wrote several papers for the quarterly publication of the Torch.

Adolph B. Heller (Col ’34) of New Hartford, N.Y.,  died July 23, 2009. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Mr. Heller taught French at Syracuse University before transferring to Utica College,  where he was an associate professor of modern languages until 1976.

Raymond Carrington Aylor (Educ ’35 L/M) of Charlottesville died June 1, 2009. He was a World War II veteran and taught in Albemarle County Public Schools before taking a supervisory position with Occidental Life Insurance Co. in southwest Virginia. He later became a partner and co-owner with his brother, Manly Aylor, in the Aylor Insurance Agency in Gretna, Va.

David S. Henkel (Law ’36) of Palm City, Fla., died Sept. 7, 2009. At the University, he worked on the Virginia Law Review and was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity. Mr. Henkel served in the U.S.  Army during World War II. He was a partner in the law firm of Sullivan &  Cromwell in New York City for 50 years.

Lindsey Cabell Claiborne (Law ’38 L/M) of La Jolla,  Calif., died Sept. 12, 2009. After passing the Virginia bar exam, he practiced law in Richmond for three years, during which time he was associated with the law firm of Wellford and Taylor. In June 1941, he was commissioned an ensign in the U.S. Naval Reserve. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and was wounded in the battle of Guam in the Marianas campaign, for which he was later awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart. Later, he worked in accounting and income tax in San Diego and La Jolla. He was president of the San Diego University of Virginia Alumni Club. Survivors include a brother, Herbert A. Claiborne Jr. (Med ’47, Col ’49 L/M); and nephews Herbert A. Claiborne III (Col ’78 L/M), Thomas H. Claiborne (Col ’87 L/M), John H. Guy IV (Col. ’73 A/M) and William R. Claiborne (Col. ’81 L/M).

Maynard Putney Smith (Med ’38 L/M) of Richmond, Va.,  died Aug. 21, 2009. In 1943, he became board certified in otolaryngology and,  31 years later, he became board certified in allergy and immunology. Dr. Smith began his ear, nose and throat practice with Dr. Fowlkes and Dr. Wellford before setting up his own practice. He was a clinical instructor at the Medical College of Virginia (MCV), now the Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, and served as chief of the residency training program in rhinology there from 1955 to 1968. He was a clinical professor emeritus in MCV’s department of otolaryngology. Dr. Smith was a member of numerous medical societies and served as chief of staff of the Richmond Eye & Ear Hospital,  where he also served as past president of the board of trustees. He was also past president of the Virginia Society of Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology.  He was published in the Virginia Medical Monthly, the Laryngoscope and the Journal of Otolaryngology. In 1963, he received the Golden Head Mirror Honor Award from the American Rhinologic Society. In 1997, Dr. Smith was recognized at the International Rhinology Centennial in Philadelphia for his contributions in the service of rhinology. He practiced medicine for 65 years and retired at the age of 88. Survivors include a son, J. Harrison Smith (Engr ’80 L/M); and a daughter, Elizabeth H. Smith (Med ’76 L/M).

Willis Borders Glover Jr. (Grad ’39) of Durham, N.C., died Sept. 14, 2009. He was a professor of European history at Southern Methodist University and Mercer University. Mr. Glover’s publications were concerned with the contribution that the Christian faith has made in the development of modern Western culture. During the 1960s, he and his wife actively worked for peaceful racial integration and participated in the first sit-in to integrate the Woolworth’s lunch counter in Macon, Ga.