Notices sorted by graduation date.
John Randolph Williams (Engr ’33, ’34 L/M) of Richmond, Va., died April 27, 2012. At the University, he was a Lawn resident and a member of the Fraternity of Delta Psi (St. Anthony Hall), the Tau Beta Pi engineering honor society and the Raven Society. From 1934 to 1950, Mr. Williams was employed by E.I. DuPont de Nemours & Co., first in operations at the Belle Works near Charleston, W.Va., and later in chemical and plastic sales and sales management in Wilmington, Del. In 1950, he joined the family-owned Ogden Newspapers, Inc., group of newspapers. He served as Ogden’s executive vice president for 32 years and expanded the group’s newspapers from W.Va. to five additional states. Mr. Williams served on the boards of the Southern Newspaper Publishers Association, the Oglebay Institute and the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra. From 1954 to 1988, he served as director and member of the executive and trust committees of the Wheeling Dollar Bank, later changed to WesBanco Bank Wheeling. Survivors include a son, Daniel Wilkin Williams (Arch ’71).
Harry C. Bates Jr. (Col ’39 L/M) of Culpeper, Va., died May 31, 2012. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps during World War II. At the University, he was a Lawn resident. Dr. Bates practiced general medicine in Arlington, Va., from 1948 to 1966 and served on the clinical faculty at George Washington University. He served on the Virginia State Board of Medicine, represented Virginia in the house of delegates of the American Medical Association and served as the president of the Medical Society of Virginia in 1958. In 1966, Dr. Bates moved his family to Roanoke, Va., where he served as medical director and later vice president of underwriting of the Shenandoah Life Insurance Co. until his retirement in 1982. He enjoyed retired life at his “Peace and Quiet Farm” in Rixeyville, Va.
Joshua Fry Bullitt Camblos (Col ’39, Med ’43, Res ’48 L/M) of Asheville, N.C., died June 17, 2012. He served as a medical officer in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, he was a Lawn resident and a member of Delta Phi fraternity, the IMP Society, Eli Banana, P.K. Society, Skull and Keys, Phi Beta Kappa and the Washington Literary Society and Debating Union. In 1950, he opened a surgical practice in Asheville, and was one of the founders of the Buncombe County unit of the American Cancer Society in the early 1950s. Dr. Camblos served as chief of staff at Mission Hospital from 1970 to 1971 and as vice chairman of St. Joseph’s Hospital Foundation from 1976 to 1978. In 1977, he was awarded the American Cancer Society’s national Distinguished Service Award. Dr. Camblos founded Regional Surgical Specialists in 1980 and served as senior surgeon there until his retirement in 1984. He was an avid outdoorsman and in his retirement served on various wildlife and nature boards and spent countless hours exploring the woods and honing his talent as a wildlife artist. Survivors include a nephew, James L. Camblos III (Col ’69).