A promotion into a supervisory position presents a new set of challenges. You are now responsible for your own productivity and that of your staff. Here are some tips to handle the change smoothly:
- Understand what your boss, employees, peers and senior management expect from you.
- Keep the “big picture” in mind; where do you/your staff fit into the overall organization? How does your department affect the “bottom line”?
- Set realistic expectations for yourself and your staff members.
Master the five basic management functions:
- If possible, find a mentor who will guide you through the first year.
- Ask questions; learn from everyone around you.
- Be open to the questions and comments of others.
- Learn from your mistakes.
- Turn around and mentor someone coming along behind you.
Alumni Career Services is designed to help you at every stage of your career. For information and assistance, contact email@example.com or see alumni.virginia.edu/career.