Notices sorted by graduation date.

Charles Hecht (Col ‘80, Law ‘83 L/M) of Denver died Oct. 30, 2010. At the University, he was a member of St. Elmo fraternity. Mr. Hecht was most recently a partner of the Hamil/Hecht law firm and taught at the National Institute of Trial Attorneys.

Mary Amelia Grant Hughes (Col ‘80 L/M) of Blue Ridge, Ga., died April 29, 2010. Dr. Hughes had a dental practice in Roswell, Ga., for 15 years, until 2000, when she chose to become a full-time mother. She had returned to dentistry in Ellijay, Ga., with Talbot Dental Associates in 2006.

Lisa Ann Barbour (Law ‘82) of Vail, Colo., died Dec. 2, 2010. Following graduation, Ms. Barbour began her law career at Locke Purnell in Dallas, concentrating in corporate law and structured finance. In 1998, she retired from the practice of law at the Andrews Kurth law firm to devote time to raising her children. While in Dallas, Ms. Barbour volunteered with the Child Abuse Prevention Center. She had a passion for travel and writing, compiling journals about her experiences in trips around the world.

Mary Ann Barowski (Col ‘82) of Amherst, N.H., died Oct. 28, 2010. She was employed by the Transportation Security Administration from 2002 to 2005 and later by the U.S. Postal Service in Amherst. Survivors include a daughter, Kate Barowski (Col ‘10 L/M).

James E. Crocker Jr. (Col ‘83) of Sri Racha, Thailand, died Dec. 28, 2010. At the University, Mr. Crocker was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. Mr. Crocker spent his adult life in Asia. He lived in Singapore for several years, where he traded on the Singapore International Monetary Exchange. Subsequent to that, he moved to Sri Racha and worked in the real estate industry. Survivors include his father, James E. Crocker (Com ‘57 L/M).

Roy A. Lilley (GSBA ‘83 L/M) of Winter Park, Fla., died Dec. 9, 2010. Mr. Lilley began his extensive career in commercial real estate with Trammell Crow Company in Orlando, where he spent 18 years. As principal and director of development, he was responsible for leasing, development, management, acquisitions and dispositions as well as land entitlement, development and sales. In 2002, Mr. Lilley joined Flagler Development Company in Jacksonville, Fla., as senior vice president and regional development officer. In 2007, Mr. Lilley joined several of his Trammell Crow colleagues in forming CNL Commercial Real Estate Services, where he was responsible for investment and development opportunities.

Albert Rambo (Educ ‘83) of Bryan, Texas, died Dec. 18, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War. He taught in various schools in Virginia and was employed by the Southern Pacific Railroad before beginning his 25-year career at Blinn College. He was a lifetime member of both the East Texas Historical Society and the Texas State Historical Society. While at Blinn, he authored several study guides, wrote for various journals, and contributed an article on diversity to a recent textbook.

John M. Scheb (Law ‘84 A/M) of Sarasota, Fla., died Nov. 17, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II, and in the Air Force Reserve until his military retirement in 1980 at the rank of colonel. In 1977, the Air Force Systems Command named him its outstanding reserve judge advocate. Mr. Scheb practiced law in Sarasota from 1950 to 1974, during which time he served two years as an associate city judge and 11 years as city attorney for Sarasota. In 1974, Gov. Reubin Askew appointed him to the bench of the 2nd District Court of Appeal in Lakeland, where he wrote numerous significant judicial opinions and served until his retirement in 1992. He was chief judge of the court and president of the Florida Conference of Appellate Judges from 1980 to 1982. He was a frequent speaker on courts and legal affairs. On his retirement from the 2nd District Court of Appeal, Stetson University College of Law appointed him a distinguished professorial lecturer. In addition to teaching, Judge Scheb co-authored many professional articles as well as college and law school textbooks on criminal law, administrative law and appellate practice. He received many professional accolades from the state and local bar associations. In addition, he participated in a number of civic and professional activities in the Sarasota region. He was the original president of the local chapter of the American Inns of Court, later named in his honor the Judge John M. Scheb American Inn of Court.

Mary J. Bear (Grad ‘86) of Seattle died Dec. 17, 2010. After graduate school, Ms. Bear worked as producer and executive producer for several television stations around the U.S. In the developing industry, she served as project manager and consultant at Microsoft. It was there that she created 36 award-winning websites and negotiated key partnerships with AOL, Yahoo, Microsoft, Apple and Real Networks. Ms. Bear established her independent consulting company in 2001. In 2004, she served as a Knight International Journalism Fellow in Bucharest, Romania, training journalism students and media professionals. Radio Free Europe in Prague later recruited her to serve as director of programming from 2005 to 2008. Later in life, she worked for MSN-Microsoft, based in Vienna, Austria. She served as executive producer for the Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa MSN websites.

Zia Rahman (Engr ‘86, ‘89) of Williamsburg, Va., died Dec. 16, 2010. He was a research scientist with NASA Langley Research Center. He was the team manager for his sons’ soccer teams for several years. An excellent cook, he taught his sons to be creative with food. He welcomed a host of foster cats into his home. Survivors include his wife, Katherine Irene Rahman (Grad ‘87, ‘90).

Joseph S. Padgett (Educ ‘88) of Roanoke Rapids, N.C., died Nov. 27, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army. After receiving his advanced degree in education administration from the University, he went on to become a teacher and principal in the Hampton City Schools. From there he became an assistant superintendent in the Fluvanna, Prince William and Loudoun county schools. On his retirement from Loudoun County Schools, he served as director of policy services for the Virginia School Boards Association for two years. He then retired to Nags Head, N.C., where he lived for 15 years.