Notices sorted by graduation date.
William L. Brown (Com ’50) of Kennewick, Wash., died April 12, 2011. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. He worked for a number of Hanford contractors, first in payroll and benefits and then in records management. He retired from Rockwell in 1986. Mr. Brown was active in the community, participating in Richland School’s PTA, the Records Management Association, the Elks, and Prairie Shufflers Square Dancers Club. He traveled extensively with his wife after he retired, visiting Europe, New Zealand and Australia, and square danced all around the United States.
Harold V. Carter (Col ’50) of Morrisville, N.J., died June 10, 2011. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. He operated Process Analyzers, a manufacturing company in the Fallsington Industrial Park, for 25 years with his wife, Martha. Later in life, Mr. Carter was active with the Lower Makefield Seniors, where he was an avid Bridge player.
Peyton Franklin Carter II (Com ’50) of New York City died June 18, 2011. He served in the U.S. Navy. At the University, he was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity. Mr. Carter held several jobs after graduation, including working for former U.S. Sen. Gerald P. Nye at the Records Engineering Company, before joining the Guaranty Trust Company in 1956, which merged with J.P. Morgan in 1958, and where he would remain for 32 years. He was the vice president in charge of running the firm’s Madison Avenue office in New York. Mr. Carter served as a trustee for the Institute of International Education.
Frances Barlow Jefferies (Nurs ’50 L/M) of Norfolk, Va., died June 8, 2011. She worked at the Norfolk Naval Base during World War II. From 1950 to 1954, Ms. Jefferies practiced her nursing skills in Charlottesville; Birmingham, Ala.; Durham, N.C.; and Charlotte, N.C. After returning to Norfolk in 1954, Ms. Jefferies was a homemaker. She participated in the Norfolk Academy of Medicine Ladies Auxiliary, the DePaul Hospital Auxiliary and the Lakewood Garden Club. Survivors include a son, Alan H. Jefferies Jr. (Engr ’78 L/M).
Robert M. LeLacheur (Grad ’50) of Wyomissing, Pa., died June 27, 2011. He served in the Royal Canadian Navy during World War II. Mr. LeLacheur spent most of his professional life with the Western Electric Company. He was manager of development and manufacturing engineering at the Reading plant from 1966 until his retirement in 1983. Prior to that, he was director of process research and development in Princeton, N.J., and assistant manager of engineering in Reading with Western Electric. His previous work included Bell Telephone Laboratories and the National Research Council of Canada. He served on the boards of the Wyomissing Library and the Reading Museum. He volunteered at the Gruber Wagon Works and assisted senior citizens with their tax returns.
Claude M. Seymour Jr. (Col ’50) of Roanoke, Va., died June 17, 2011. During World War II he served with the 6th Marine Division in the Pacific Fleet and received several combat ribbons. He later enlisted in the U.S. Army’s Counter Intelligence Corps, then transferred to the U.S. Air Force Office of Special Investigations. He retired from the Air Force after 20 years of service, receiving both the U.S. Air Force Commendation Medal and a Good Conduct Medal. Later he retired from the Bank of Virginia. He was a licensed lay eucharistic minister of St. Martin’s Episcopal Church in Richmond, Va.
Dabney “Stump” Craighill (Engr ’51 L/M) of St. Simons Island, Ga., died May 25, 2011. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, Eli Banana Society and the Trigon Engineering Society. He began his career in 1952 in the titanium division of the National Lead Co. He joined Thompson Weinman Co. in 1966 as its southeastern sales manager, and in 1992 he became the Atlanta branch manager of Ribelin Sales Co.
Stanley W. Drucker (Com ’51, Law ’53, L/M) of Newport News, Va., died July 28, 2010. At the University, he was a member of the Raven Society and the Order of the Coif. On graduating, he served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army’s Judge Advocate General Corps. Mr. Drucker returned to Newport News and practiced law for more than 50 years. A longtime partner of Diamonstein and Drucker, later known as Diamonstein, Drucker and Staley, he concentrated on estate and trust law. As a member of the Hampton Roads Jaycees, Mr. Drucker received its Distinguished Service Award. He also chaired the Peninsula United Fund and delivered for Meals on Wheels. Survivors include his wife, Margo Mound Drucker (Educ ’55), and a daughter, Karen Drucker (Col ’77).
Philip C. Fisher Jr. (Col ’51) of Towanda, Pa., died April 1, 2011. Following graduation, Mr. Fisher worked for the U.S. Army Map Service in Washington, D.C., but later accepted an engineering position at Sylvania in Towanda, where he received GTE’s Leslie H. Warner Award for Technological Achievement. He retired from GTE Sylvania in 1990. Mr. Fisher was a Boy Scout leader for many years, receiving Scouting’s Silver Beaver award for his service.
Charles M. Lobban (Com ’51, Law ’56) of Alderson, W.Va., died May 23, 2011. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He practiced law in Charlottesville for one year before returning to his hometown of Alderson to run his family’s furniture store, F.G. Lobban Furniture Co., and practice law. He served the town of Alderson as its volunteer attorney. He then joined the Fred Sawyer law practice in Hinton, where one of his projects was the legal work to obtain Pipestem State Park. He later joined the Haynes and Ford law firm in Lewisburg. He was elected judge for the 11th Judicial Circuit, which consisted of four counties at the time: Greenbrier, Monroe, Summers and Pocahontas. Following his retirement after 20 years on the bench, Judge Lobban served as a senior status judge, mediating cases. He was a member of Tri-County Memorial VFW Post 6723, Alderson; Alderson Masonic Lodge No. 70 AF&AM; and was a 65-year member of the Alderson Volunteer Fire Department. He was a former chairman of the Monroe County Democratic Executive Committee and received distinction as Greenbrier County’s Democrat of the Year. He was a member of the Alderson 4th of July Committee for more than three decades.
W. Donald Clague (Educ ’52, ’60) of Los Angeles died March 27, 2011. After attending the University, he became a professor and dean of students at Bridgewater College. In 1966, he moved to La Verne College, where he later became academic vice president when the college became a university. Mr. Clague was active in many civic organizations, and a member of the chamber of commerce. He was La Verne’s Citizen of the Year in 1988.
Wallace McRoy Davies (Col ’52, Law ’55) of Signal Mountain, Tenn., died March 25, 2011. At the University, he was a member of the Kappa Alpha Order. During his time at the Law School, he was a member of Delta Theta Pi legal fraternity. Upon graduation from the Law School, he was a lecturer in commercial law and accounting at the McIntire School of Commerce. Admitted to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the state of Tennessee, he was also a member of the Tennessee Society of Certified Public Accountants. Mr. Davies was a partner in the Stophel, Caldwell and Heggie law firm for 25 years and later a partner in the law firm of Miller and Martin. In 1989, he opened a law office in Chattanooga and maintained an active practice until his retirement in 2010. He was a member of the Chattanooga and Tennessee bar associations, Chattanooga Estate Planning Council, the Southern Pension Conference and Chattanooga Tax Practitioners. Survivors include a son, John M. Davies (Col ’81).
Thomas E. Sweet (Grad ’52) of Greenville, N.C., died March 13, 2011. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Mr. Sweet taught math and science at Culpeper High School in Culpeper, Va., for four years. For more than 30 years, he worked for Cigna Insurance, formerly Insurance Company of North America, as a safety engineer, retiring in 1984. Survivors include a daughter, Rebecca J. Sweet (Educ ’79).
David Green Taylor (Engr ’52) of Richmond, Va., died March 27, 2011. Mr. Taylor founded, owned and operated Bon Air Hardware for 40 years. He was a past president of the Hardware Association of the Virginias, named the Retail Merchants Association of Greater Richmond’s Retailer of the Year in 1982, a former member of the board of directors of the Retail Merchants Association of Greater Richmond and a member of the board of directors of Commonwealth Bank. He was also a member of the Richmond Area Radio Control Club for model planes and helicopters. Survivors include a son, Charles E. Taylor (Law ’79 L/M).
William H. Whitmore Jr. (Med ’52) of Norfolk, Va., died April 15, 2011. After graduating from the University, he interned at Johnston-Willis Hospital and served his residency at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. He was on the honorary staff at DePaul, Norfolk General and Leigh Memorial hospitals, as well as a member of the Medical Society of Virginia, a fellow with AARP and a Mensa Society member. Dr. Whitmore practiced medicine for more than 35 years. He later became a sole-proprietor broker-dealer and the author of two books.
Samuel F. Fowler Jr. (Law ’53) of Knoxville, Tenn., died May 5, 2011. He served in the U.S. Army Reserve. He was a partner in the law firms of Fowler, Rowntree and Fowler; Wagner, Myers & Sanger; and Holbrook Peterson & Smith. He served on the boards of and as an officer of many charitable and civic organizations.
Marvin M. Sager (Col ’53, Med ’57 L/M) of Baltimore died March 30, 2011. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps. During his time at the University, he was a member of Alpha Epsilon fraternity and the Glee Club. After graduation, Dr. Sager spent 34 years in the practice of obstetrics and gynecology in Baltimore.
Johnson “Jack” Crawford Jr. (Educ ’54, GSBA ’59) of Pawleys Island, S.C., died May 1, 2011. He served in the U.S. Army. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. Mr. Crawford marketed Procter & Gamble products, first within the United States from Cincinnati, and then for its international division from its London headquarters. On returning to the U.S., he bought Service Gas Co. in Wytheville, Va., which he operated for 10 years. After selling Service Gas, he founded Wordsprint, a commercial printing company, which he operated until his retirement in 1994. Mr. Smith then launched his post-retirement career. Sharing his skills and his collection of computers, he taught for Senior Semesters, Campus Brookgreen, Community Learning About Special Subjects and the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Coastal Carolina University. Survivors include a granddaughter, Sarah Baumgardner McKee (Col ’03).
Robert M. Donovan (Col ’55 L/M) of Towson, Md., died April 20, 2011. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps. He was the past president of the University of Virginia alumni chapter of Baltimore. He owned and operated a business and accounting forms company in Towson for many years.
William H. Norton Jr. (Educ ’55, Med ’61 L/M) of Richmond, Va., died April 13, 2011. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps. At the University, he was a member of Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity. He was later a teacher and principal in Martinsville, Va., and superintendent of a local school district in Delaware. He helped start the Delaware Technical & Community College System, holding administrative positions in personnel as well as in planning and development. Mr. Norton retired from the Internal Revenue Service in 1990. He enjoyed traveling, hunting, boating and golf. Survivors include a daughter, Terri Norton Sullivan (Col ’87).
Claude Allen Smith (Col ’55) of Charleston, S.C., died April 22, 2011. At the University, he was a member of Phi Delta Theta. After graduating, Mr. Smith joined Nalco Chemical Company and started his career in Charleston. Mr. Smith was promoted to Nalco’s headquarters in Oak Brook, Ill., and in 1969 moved to Winnetka, where he lived for 41 years. He eventually became the president and of Nalco. He retired in 1993 after 35 years with the company. He enjoyed vacations with his wife to their retreat, Rice Hope Plantation.
Wallace Neil Harding (Com ’56) of Williamsburg, Va., died June 30, 2011. He served in the U.S. Army. At the University, he was a member of Delta Upsilon fraternity, the Glee Club and the marching band. After graduation, he work for Prudential Insurance Company for 35 years. He appeared in theatre productions with the Williamsburg Players.
M. Scott Brodie (Law ’57 L/M) of Charlotte, N.C., died May 4, 2011. He served in the U.S. Army. He worked at Manufacturers Hanover, Merrill Lynch, and Thomson McKinnon Securities before becoming a trust and investment officer at Virginia National Bank in Charlottesville and the Chase Manhattan Bank in New York. He spent the final 20 years of his career in the trust department of Bank of America in Charlotte, N.C., from which he retired as a senior vice president. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the University of Virginia Fund, P.O. Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314. Survivors include a son, John S. Brodie (Col ’87 L/M).
John Paul Hanbury (Arch ’57 L/M) of Irvington, Va., died April 28, 2011. At the University, he was vice president of Student Council and a member of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity and the Raven Society, among others. Upon graduation, he served in the U.S. Navy Reserve. He was the founding partner of Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas, a planning firm specializing in college and university work with a concentration in historic preservation, in Norfolk, Va. Passionate about saving historic structures, Mr. Hanbury was largely responsible for the preservation of Portsmouth’s Olde Towne and the restoration of significant structures therein, including Trinity Church, and the adaptive reuse of the 1846 Portsmouth Courthouse and the Seaboard Air Line Railway Station. He served on Portsmouth’s architectural review board and as the founder and first chairman of that city’s fine arts commission. In 1985, he was named Portsmouth’s First Citizen. In Norfolk, he directed the restoration of the 1913 Wells Theatre and the 1850 Freemason Street Baptist Church. He was president of the Norfolk Symphony, later the Virginia Symphony. He was the first president of the Cultural Alliance of Hampton Roads and its forerunner, the Metropolitan Arts Congress. He received the Noland Award, the highest award given by the American Institute of Architects in Virginia. Survivors include two daughters, Lucy Hanbury Moneymaker (Nurs ’84 L/M) and Mary Ruffin Hanbury (Arch ’93).
Lewis Elton “Red” Goodman (Col ’58) of Danville, Va., died April 14, 2011. At the University, he was a manager for the football team. He practiced law for four decades and was recognized by Best Lawyers in America in the field of bankruptcy law. Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth Shumaker Goodman (Educ ’77); and a son, Lee E. Goodman (Col ’86, Law ’90).
Thomas Lee Hawley (Educ ’58) of Pulaski, Va., died March 27, 2011. After graduation, he began a lengthy newspaper career as a sports writer at the Times-World in Newport News, Va., and worked for various newspapers throughout Virginia and Tennessee. He was a business writer and later the creative services manager for the Roanoke Times. Mr. Hawley was a diabetes moderator on the Web for PlanetRx. More recently, he worked as a VICAP coordinator with the Agency on Aging in Pulaski, finishing his newspaper career as a part-time columnist for the Southwest Times in Pulaski.
Baylis E. Kunz (Educ ’58) of Hot Springs, Va., died April 21, 2011. Ms. Kunz spent 39 years in education as a teacher or principal in Bedford County and Lynchburg. She was a member of the Woman’s Club of Lynchburg, Delta Kappa Gamma, Lynchburg Retired Teachers Association, the Wesleyan Adult Sunday School Class, and was an active member of Virginia Baptist Hospital Volunteers.
Raymond E. Lucas (Col ’58, Grad ’63 L/M) of Fleetwood, Pa., died May 6, 2011. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. He was an associate professor of philosophy at East Tennessee State University. For 23 years, he was a professor of philosophy at Kutztown University, in Kutztown, Pa., and served many years as chairman of its philosophy department prior to his retirement in 1993. During his tenure at Kutztown University, Mr. Lucas taught a summer course in Salzburg, Austria, and another in Pavia, Italy, to American students under a program of the state universities of Pennsylvania. By invitation, he presented a paper in the USSR and a paper to the Russian Philosophical Association. Throughout his life, Mr. Lucas enjoyed hydroplane boat racing, and was the Eastern Division champion in the C-Hydro class of the American Power Boat Association in 1953. An avid fan of model control line and radio control airplanes, Mr. Lucas built and flew airplanes as a member of Pennsylvania’s Flying Dutchmen Aeromodelers Club and the Tri-County WingSnappers Club.
Richard B. Craig (Engr ’59) of Richmond, Va., died June 25, 2011. He served in the U.S. Army. At the University, he was a member of Kappa Alpha fraternity. He worked for the American Tobacco Co., and later, as a superintendent of manufacturing at Phillip Morris. During his retirement, he worked as an independent consultant for Phillip Morris in Eastern Europe.
Robert Bruce Livy (Col ’59, Grad ’74 L/M) of Richmond, Va., died April 23, 2011. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. He served as an officer in the U.S. Navy Reserve. He taught at the Collegiate School for Boys for 24 years, where he was head of the English department, and served as adviser to the yearbook. He taught English, and served as aquatics director for summer programs at the Blue Ridge School in St. George, Va., for more than 20 years. He served on the board of the English Speaking Union and the Blue Ridge School. He was member of the Torch Club of Richmond and the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.