Notices sorted by graduation date.
Fulton Williams Fite (Col ’50, Grad ’52, Med ’58) of Muskogee, Okla., died June 10, 2012. At the University, he was a member of the Raven Society, the Phi Chi medical fraternity and Sigma Xi research fraternity. Dr. Fite spent much of his medical career with the U.S. Air Force, serving as chief of the department of otolaryngology at the USAF Hospital at Clark Air Force Base in the Philippines and then as chief of otolaryngology at the USAF Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo. Dr. Fite was later chief of otolaryngology at Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center at Lackland AFB in San Antonio and training officer of the USAF residency training program in otolaryngology. In 1970, he became chief of otolaryngology and director of the residency training program. He was appointed consultant to the surgeon general in 1971 and was a clinical assistant professor in otorhinolaryngology at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. Dr. Fite received the Air Force Commendation Medal for Meritorious Service and, on his retirement in 1977, was awarded the United States Meritorious Service Medal. He was a fellow in the American Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology and the American College of Surgeons and operated a private practice in Muskogee until 1992. Dr. Fite was a Civil War buff and an avid hunter.
Harrison Ray “Harry” Magee (Col ’50) of South Russell, Ohio, died Dec. 28, 2011. He served in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War. At the University, he was a member of Theta Chi fraternity and sang in the Glee Club. Throughout his corporate career, Mr. Magee worked for Ford Motor Co. and the Kroger Co. and served as corporate director of personnel for Eagle Picher Industries. He later served as vice president of Boyden Associates, where he was responsible for client executive recruitment. In 1975, he joined the team of Bowden & Co., Inc., where he served as vice president and was extensively involved with national and international clients relative to executive searches spanning diverse industries and functional disciplines.
Bernard “Barney” A. Gill Jr. (Educ ’51) of Virginia Beach died April 17, 2012. He served in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War. At the University, he was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity and the football and basketball teams. Mr. Gill coached football at West Point in 1958 and later worked as the vice president of operations for the Norfolk Neptunes professional football team. He retired from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Robert William Pickett (Col ’51) of Vero Beach, Fla., died May 8, 2012. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean conflict. At the University, Mr. Pickett played on the men’s basketball team and was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity. He worked in the IBM sales office in New York City for eight years and later served as a sales manager for Magnavox; regional sales manager for MCI; vice president of sales and marketing for Ricoh; regional vice president for Northern Telecom; and director of contract sales for Ericsson until he retired in 1992. Mr. Pickett volunteered with Indian River Shores public safety and mentored students at Beachland Elementary School. Survivors include a son, David W. Pickett (Col ’85).
John C. Thomas (Engr ’51) of Portsmouth, Va., died May 10, 2012. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II and received the Purple Heart for wounds received at the Battle of the Bulge. At the University, he was a member of the Thomas Jefferson Society of alumni. He worked as a machinist at Norfolk Naval Shipyard and later for the Radio Corporation of America in Camden, N.J. Mr. Thomas held a number of U.S. patents and owned a business, JCT Industries, where he worked until he retired. Survivors include his wife, Levato J. “Vetti” Thomas (Nurs ’51); a son, John C. Thomas Jr. (Com ’75 L/M); and a granddaughter, Claudia A. “Allie” Thomas (Col ’15 L/M).
W. Edward Armstrong Jr. (Col ’52 L/M) of Staunton, Va., died April 1, 2012. At the University, he was a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity. He practiced orthodontics for more than 40 years in Staunton, Lexington and Waynesboro. In his later years, he earned designation as a diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontists. For 40 years, he was president and treasurer of Thornrose Cemetery. He was very interested in the history of Thornrose, and strove to educate others about it. He was also instrumental in bringing the statue of the Lady of Perpetual Care from Italy to its location on the drawbridge of Thornrose. Survivors include his wife, Nancy Cox Armstrong (Educ ’85, ’94); and a daughter, Deborah A. Armstrong (Col ’88 L/M).
William John Griffin III (Col ’52 L/M) of Greenwich, Conn., and Watch Hill, R.I., died Aug. 6, 2012. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. After graduation, he served as a U.S. Navy intelligence officer aboard the USS Miller. Mr. Griffin was a gifted entrepreneur and a proud Ford dealer and, along with his brother, opened Griffin Ford of New Rochelle, N.Y., in 1959. They were among the youngest Ford dealers in the country. He also opened Griffin Ford of New Canaan and Greenwich, Conn., and a number of Lexus franchises in the Connecticut and N.Y. area. Mr. Griffin loved playing golf, swimming and spending time at his summer home in Watch Hill, R.I. As a boy, he developed an interest in racing pigeons and pursued this passion throughout his life. He was active in the University’s Alumni Association and admissions department.
Francis Ronald Johns (Col ’52) of Niceville, Fla., died June 4, 2012. He served in the U.S. Army from 1952 to 1954. At the University, he was a member of Alpha Kappa Psi fraternity and the riding club. He worked summer internships at the Department of Agriculture prior to graduation. Mr. Johns began his career in banking at First and Merchants National Bank in Richmond, Va. In the 1960s, he was transferred to the Pentagon branch and served in several positions, ultimately serving as that branch’s executive vice president. He retired to Florida in the 1980s and took pleasure in tending the grounds of his home.
Frank Cyrus “Doc” McCue III (Col ’52, Med ’56, Res ’60 L/M) of Abingdon, Va., died July 8, 2012. He was a doctor and medical assistant for the U.Va. athletic program from 1961 to 2003. After completing a hand surgery fellowship in California, Dr. McCue returned to the University in 1961, where he became a professor of orthopedic surgery and later the director of the School of Medicine’s Division of Sports Medicine and Hand Surgery. Dr. McCue treated many Cavalier student-athletes as well as other athletes and patients from the across the state. He served as surgeon to the University of Richmond, William and Mary and Virginia Military Institute athletics programs before they had their own doctors. Dr. McCue retired in 2003 and was named professor emeritus of orthopedics at the University of Virginia Hospital. He later became the first inductee to the Order of the Crossed Sabres, the Virginia Football Alumni Club’s highest honor. In 1998, the McCue Society was created to provide a variety of scholarships in the field of sports medicine to both graduate and undergraduate students and to provide a forum for sports medicine education and research. The McCue Center, U.Va.’s primary athletics support building, was dedicated in 1991 and named in his honor. In his retirement, Dr. McCue remained close to U.Va. athletics, frequently attending Cavalier games and football practices. Survivors include his wife, Nancy Nestor McCue (Nurs ’60), and two children.
William “Bill” Naylor Adams (Engr ’53) of Boyds, Md., died May 10, 2012. He served in the U.S. Army and in the Florida Army National Guard. He spent more than 50 years as a mechanical engineer in the power industry, working for Combustion Engineering, Bechtel Power Corp. and as an independent consultant. Mr. Adams had an interest in geography and traveled to every continent. Survivors include a daughter, Ann Halstead Adams (Engr ’87, ’89).
James L. Ross (Col ’53) of Indianapolis died Feb. 9, 2012. He practiced dentistry in Lapel, Ind., from 1958 until his retirement. In the late 1960s, he took a sabbatical from dentistry to pursue a writing career. During this time, Dr. Ross and his family lived in Lesvos, Greece; Nenzing, Austria; and Campeche, Mexico. Dr. Ross opened the American Family Dental Center in Zionsville, Ind., in 1982. He was a member of the American Dental Association and the American Academy of Dental Group Practice. In his retirement years, he played saxophone in a band, and painted and read avidly.
John S. Chapman (Med ’54) of Dubuque, Iowa, died July 1, 2012. He served in the U.S. Navy. In 1958, Dr. Chapman began his practice at Dubuque Internal Medicine, where he remained until his retirement in 1996. He served as co-director of the Hospice of Dubuque and on the board of the Finley Hospital Foundation, among others. Dr. Chapman was president of the Dubuque Medical Society and the Iowa Society of Internal Medicine. In 1992, he was named internist of the year by the Iowa Clinical Society of Internal Medicine. Dr. Chapman sought to keep Dubuque up to date with medical technology, and with the founding of Dubuque City Ambulance, he was responsible for bringing modern, medically equipped ambulance service to Dubuque, overseeing the training of the city’s first emergency medical technicians.
William Coleman Guthrie (Engr ’54) of Cambridge, Md., died Feb. 25, 2012. At the University, he was a member of the Raven Society. In 1954, he began his career as an aerospace engineer with the Douglass Aircraft Co. in Long Beach, Calif., where he designed fuel systems for the B-66 attack bomber. Mr. Guthrie was later recruited by The Martin Co. as a systems engineer for the Titan intercontinental ballistic missile propulsion system. In 1968, he joined Communication Satellite Corp., where he served as vice president and general manager of Comsat World Satellite Systems. He contributed design work to the Comstar, Marisat and Intelsat satellite systems. Mr. Guthrie retired in 1987. He was an avid reader and enjoyed sailing and cruising on the Chesapeake Bay.
Charles L. Ladson (Engr ’54) of Newport News, Va., died Dec. 29, 2011. After graduation, he began a career as an aeronautical research scientist with the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics Langley Memorial Aeronautical Laboratory (later the NASA Langley Research Center) in Hampton, Va. Mr. Ladson’s early work was primarily related to the testing of airfoils. He later was assistant head of NASA’s Experimental Techniques Branch, with responsibility for development and application of cryogenic wind tunnels, magnetic suspension and balance systems, and adaptive wall test sections. He retired from Langley in 1992, after 38 years of service.
Richard Marshall Wells (Com ’54) of Columbia, S.C., died July 15, 2012. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve during the Korean War. At the University, he was president of Phi Delta Theta fraternity, captain of the golf team, and a member of the T.I.L.K.A. Society and the P.K. Society. He retired as vice president of sales of Hardaway Concrete Co. During his golfing days, he was champion of Farmington Country Club and the Kenridge Golf Tournament. Survivors include a sister, Alice W. Kinter (Com ’50); and a brother, Samuel B. Wells (Col ’53 L/M).
Albert Ayerst Carr (Col ’55, Med ’59, Res ’61) of Augusta, Ga., died July 18, 2012. At the University, he was a Lawn resident, a member of the Raven Society and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, and wrote for the Cavalier Daily. Dr. Carr trained for three years in the endocrine section of the Heart Institute at the National Institutes of Health in Maryland. He then returned to the University as chief resident of medicine. Following his residency program, Dr. Carr moved to Omaha, Neb., to practice in the department of medicine at the University of Nebraska School of Medicine. In 1967, he moved to Augusta to serve as chief of the hypertension section of the department of medicine at the Medical College of Georgia, where he worked until his retirement in 1995. He continued his cardiovascular research in private practice and served for many years as a delegate to the Medical Association of Georgia. Survivors include his wife, Nancy Lanford Carr (Nurs ’59 L/M); and a grandson, Keenan Wills Davis (Col ’12, Grad ’17 L/M).
John Larson (Engr ’55) of Barnegat Light, N.J., died Dec. 23, 2011. At the University, he was a member of Theta Delta Chi fraternity. He worked for Roebling Co. before taking over his father’s party boat business in Barnegat Light. Mr. Larson was owner or part owner of eight commercial fishing vessels and one party boat, Miss Barnegat Light. He was also a partner in Viking Village docks and Barnegat Light Yacht Basin.
Anderson Minor Renick Jr. (Med ’55) of Lutherville, Md. died April 10, 2012. He served in the U.S. Navy as chief medical officer in the medical corps at Bainbridge Naval Hospital from 1957 to 1959 and in the Naval Reserve medical corps from 1959 to 1965. At the University, he was a Lawn resident. From 1961 until his retirement in 2010, Dr. Renick had a private internal medicine practice in Towson, Md., and was affiliated with the Greater Baltimore Medical Center and St. Joseph Medical Center. He published an article, “Coumadin Induced Skin Necrosis” in the Southern Medical Journal. Dr. Renick was a permanent contributing member of Shriner’s Children’s Hospitals and established and funded scholarships for Hampden-Sydney College and the University of Virginia School of Medicine, among others. He enjoyed nature photography, and his photographs, many of which appear in his book, Nature Photography and Other Images, won prizes at Maryland state fairs and MedChi conventions. Survivors include his wife, Ann Cecil Renick (Educ ’67).
Owen C. Meadows Jr. (Col ’56, Med ’60, Res ’65 L/M) of Beckley, W.Va., died May 29, 2012. He served in the U.S. Air Force. At the University, he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, the V Club, the Z Society and Eli Banana; he also played linebacker for the football team. Dr. Meadows was on the Raleigh General Hospital staff for 40 years and was a member of the West Virginia State Medical Society and the Raleigh County Medical Society. He served on the University of Virginia Board of Visitors for a number of years. Dr. Meadows worked at the Beckley Military Processing Station, helping with physical examinations, until his death.
Virginia Rudgers “Poppy” Clayborne (Nurs ’58) of Washington, D.C., died July 12, 2012. At the University, she was a member of Kappa Delta sorority. She worked as a registered nurse at Arlington Hospital in Arlington, Va., for much of her career.
Shirley Surber Gordon-Webbink (Nurs ’58) of Charlottesville died May 12, 2012. She spent most of her nursing career as a psychiatric nurse and as a hospice nurse in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. She lived for many years in Sterling, Va. In 2006, Ms. Gordon-Webbink and her husband returned to Charlottesville, where she volunteered as an usher at the Paramount Theater and the Tuesday Evening Concert Series at Old Cabell Hall. She was a supporter of the Center for Nursing Historical Inquiry. She loved to work in her vegetable garden and visit her cabin in Oriskany, Va. She also enjoyed drawing and doodling with pencils. Survivors include a son, William W. Gordon (Engr ’84).
Rhodes E. Wray (Engr ’58 L/M) of Staunton, Va., died July 1, 2012. At the University, he was a member of Chi Phi fraternity. He worked as a project manager for the missile division of Douglas Aircraft in Charlotte, N.C., where he led a group of engineers in formulating a preproduction test plan for the antimissile missile, Nike Zeus. He also was project engineer for the XM-50 surface-to-surface missile trainer. Mr. Wray was later employed by DuPont in Waynesboro, Va., from 1965 until his retirement in 2001. He received four U.S. patents for various technical features of Lycra spandex. He retired as a research fellow from DuPont’s Benger Laboratory. He was an avid golfer and antiques collector and on two occasions played in the Crosby National Celebrity Golf Tournament. Survivors include his brother, Desmond C. Wray Jr. (Law ’61).
John Latane Lewis III (Col ’59, Law ’62 L/M) of Powhatan, Va., died May 8, 2012. At the University, he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, the Seven Society, Eli Banana, the IMP Society, the 13 Society, the 3-3-3 Committee and the Corks & Curls staff. Mr. Lewis twice served as president of the Student Council, once as a college student and again as a law student. He practiced law in Powhatan County and later served as commonwealth’s attorney for 23 years. A member of the Virginia State Bar and the Virginia Bar Association, he also served on the boards of the Elizabeth Randolph Lewis Powhatan YMCA, Southside Electric Cooperative and Huguenot Academy. Survivors include three daughters, Anne Lewis Harris (Col ’85), Leila Lewis Webb (Col ’88), and Elizabeth Lewis Allred (Col ’91); a son, John L. Lewis IV (Engr ’86); and a grandson, William O. Harris IV (Col ’14).
James R. McKenry (Com ’59, Law ’62 L/M) of Virginia Beach died July 10, 2012. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, the P.K. Society and Eli Banana. He practiced law for 50 years in Norfolk, Va., and Virginia Beach and was a founding partner of McKenry Dancigers Dawson and Lake. Mr. McKenry was active in the Virginia State Bar and served on the Committee on Lawyer Discipline and on the Committee on Legal Ethics. He served as president of the Virginia Law Foundation and was a fellow of the American Bar Foundation. He served on numerous civic boards and was a founding trustee of the Cape Henry Collegiate School.