Notices sorted by graduation date.

J. Garnett Bruce Jr. (Med ’40 A/M) of Orange, Va., died July 3, 2010. During World War II, he was a physician with the Tennessee Valley Authority during construction of Fontana Dam in western North Carolina. He worked in Chattanooga, Tenn., delivering hundreds of babies and performing numerous surgeries in a 90-hour workweek for a year and a half. Dr. Bruce was a physician serving the Orange County community for more than 30 years until his retirement in 1979. He was instrumental in building the Orange-Gordonsville Community Hospital (now the Gordon House) during the 1950s with his partner, Hulbert McCoy.

Margaret Virginia Tucker Scott (Nurs ’40 A/M) of Fredericksburg, Va., died April 14, 2010. She met her husband at the University and devoted her life to raising their family. Survivors include sons David W. Scott III (Col ’63, Med ’67) and Paul T. Scott (Col ’65 L/M).

Charles Elliot Wheeler (Col ’40, Law ’41 L/M) of Easton, Md., died April 24, 2010. At the University, he was a member of the track team and for several years held the indoor record for the 440-yard dash. Mr. Wheeler also coached the U.Va. cross-country team and was an assistant track coach. In 1941, he was a law clerk for the U.S. Court of Appeals and then an attorney for the U.S. Tax Court in Washington, D.C. Mr. Wheeler served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He began practicing law in Easton in 1946 as a partner of Edward T. Miller in the law firm of Miller and Wheeler, which later became Wheeler, Thompson, Parker and Counts. Mr. Wheeler served as trial magistrate for Talbot County from 1951 to 1959. He was a former president of the Talbot County Bar Association and a former member of the Maryland State Bar Association, as well as a fellow of the Maryland Bar Foundation and of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. Survivors include a son, Charles H. Wheeler (Col ’72 L/M).

John Mallinson Wilson Jr. (Law ’40 L/M) of Roanoke, Va., died July 13, 2010. At the University, he worked on the Virginia Law Review and was a member of the Order of the Coif. Mr. Wilson served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He practiced real estate law in Roanoke for 44 years until his retirement in 1987, beginning as a sole practitioner, but later working with James A. Bear and with the firm he helped to found, Wilson, Hawthorne & Vogel. Mr. Wilson was a member of the Roanoke Bar Association, serving one term as president.

Helen Hull Yood
(Nurs ’40 L/M) of Newark, N.J., died Nov. 10, 2009. She worked as the head nurse for University of Virginia Medical Services from 1941 to 1943 and as a delivery room nurse at Memorial Hospital in Syracuse University in 1943. Ms. Yood was a member and president of Cedar Twig at Muhlenberg Hospital, a life auxiliary member of Muhlenberg Hospital, the president of the Women’s Division of the Jewish Community in Plainfield and a member of the board of directors of the Plainfield Jewish Community Center. Survivors include her husband, Harold S. Yood (Col ’40, Med ’43 L/M); and a granddaughter, Jill Anne Patterson (Com ’93 L/M).
Harold Brilliant (Col ’41 L/M) of Riverdale, N.Y., died on July 8, 2010. At the University, he was a member of Pi Lambda Phi fraternity. Mr. Brilliant served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II.

Frank Simmons Jr. (Grad ’41) of Corinth, Miss., died June 5, 2010. He worked for the Newport News Shipbuilding Co. as an instructor of economics in 1941 and served as managing editor of the company’s magazine, The Shipyard Bulletin. Mr. Simmons served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He served the city of Corinth as a member of the Corinth School District board of trustees for 18 years, a city alderman for 11 years, president of the City Cemetery Association for 30 years, and two terms as a director of the Corinth Chamber of Commerce. He was a charter member of the Mississippi Economic Council, serving two terms as a director on the state board, and served under two governors, J.P. Coleman and John Bell Williams. He was a co-founder of the Jacinto Foundation for the preservation and restoration of the Jacinto Courthouse. A businessman and entrepreneur, he managed rental properties and for many years operated the Pickwick, Coliseum and Skylark drive-in theaters. He opened the first coin-operated laundromat, U-Wash-It, in Corinth in 1958, and the town’s first franchised restaurant, Loeb’s Bar-B-Que, in 1965.

Edward Howard Goodwin (Col ’42 L/M) of Charlottesville died June 27, 2010. At the University, he was a member of the football and rowing teams. Mr. Goodwin served in the U.S. Army Air Forces, flying B-24 bombers during World War II. He worked for 36 years in the sales department of the Bethlehem Steel Corp. in Virginia, Philadelphia and New York City.

William A. Lashley (Grad ’42 L/M) of Williamsburg, Va., died May 9, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. Mr. Lashley worked as a reporter for the Lynchburg News and for the Richmond News Leader. Work as a publicist with the Cavalier Beach Club and handling public relations for the Virginia Tobacco Association led him to leave journalism, and in 1948 he was named the public relations director for the Virginia State Chamber of Commerce. In 1950, he began opening public relations offices for the Ford Motor Company in San Francisco and Dallas, and returned to Washington, D.C., to manage the office there. By 1957, Mr. Lashley was managing the eastern public relations office of the Reynolds Metals Company in New York, and was promoted to general manager and assigned to headquarters in Richmond, Va. He moved to Roanoke and joined the Norfolk and Western Railroad as the director of public relations and advertising. Over the next decade, he rose to vice president of public relations and advertising for the Pennsylvania Railroad in Philadelphia, a post he held through the merger that created the Penn Central Railroad, becoming vice president of public affairs. A liaison with state legislatures and with state and federal agencies and Congress, he worked after the Penn Central bankruptcy to draft legislation to create the Conrail system, and took early retirement in 1977. Mr. Lashley spent the rest of his career as a consultant. He was on the national advisory committees of the U.S. Savings Bond Division.

Parker Hall Lee Jr. (Col ’42, Med ’44 L/M) of Lynchburg, Va., died July 12, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy until 1946. Dr. Lee practiced ophthalmology first in Bluefield, W.Va., and then returned to Lynchburg to open his office in September 1950. He was certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology in 1951. He was recalled to active duty in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War and served as a medical officer at the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md. During his years of practice, Dr. Lee was on the staffs of Virginia Baptist Hospital, Lynchburg General Hospital and Lynchburg Training School and Hospital. He was also an ophthalmology consultant for the Southern Railway. He was past president of the Lynchburg Academy of Medicine and a member of the Medical Society of Virginia, the Virginia Society of Ophthalmology, the American Medical Association and was a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Survivors include a son, Parker Hall Lee III (Col ’71 L/M).

William Everett Carter (Col ’43, Med ’46 L/M) of DeLand, Fla., died April 11, 2010. At the University, he served as president of Phi Chi medical fraternity. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. Dr. Carter established a private practice in internal medicine in 1956 in DeLand. During his career, he served as chief of staff of both Fish Memorial Hospital and West Volusia Memorial Hospital (now Florida Hospital DeLand). Dr. Carter was also president of the West Volusia Medical Association from 1961 to 1962. He retired from practice in 1987. Florida Hospital DeLand recognized Dr. Carter as a health care pioneer. Survivors include a granddaughter, Emily Carter Hoxworth (Col ’07).

John Henry Hunter (Engr ’44) of Blacksburg, Va., died May 27, 2010. He served as an ensign in the U.S. Navy in Okinawa and Guam during World War II. Mr. Hunter taught at Clemson University’s school of engineering and joined the faculty at Virginia Tech in 1960. He was a member of Virginia’s Water Conservation Board in the 1970s.

Margaret Martin MacKenzie (Nurs ’44) of Natchitoches, La., died April 9, 2010. She began her career with the Visiting Nurse Service of New York; then served in Kentucky health departments; as a visiting nurse in New Rochelle, N.Y.; a school nurse at Polytechnical Institute of Puerto Rico, San Germán, Puerto Rico; and subsequently staff nurse at the Veterans Hospital at Oteen, N.C. After moving to Natchitoches in 1955, she worked as a nurse at Professional Home Health Services of Natchitoches from 1972 to 1982, the last nine years as director of the agency.

Morris Lambdin (Med ’46 A/M) of Lamoine, Maine, died April 1, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army from 1947 to 1949. Dr. Lambdin went into private pediatric practice in Salisbury, Md., from 1952 to 1957, and then returned to the University of Virginia as an assistant professor of pediatrics until 1962. He established a private practice in Ellsworth, Maine, where for 20 years he was a rural pediatrician. Dr. Lambdin was co-founder of the Center for Human Genetics, Bar Harbor, Maine. In 1978, he and his family went to Samoa, where he was chief of pediatrics at Lyndon B. Johnson Tropical Medical Center, Pago Pago, American Samoa. Later, he took a six-month placement in Kahuku, Hawaii, returning to Ellsworth in 1980, where he resumed his practice. In 1983, he relocated to St. Petersburg. Fla., and set up a practice with a friend from U.Va. Medical School, leaving that practice in 1985 to begin working with the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals, where he remained for 13 years.

Robert B. Radnitz (Col ’47 L/M) of Los Angeles died June 6, 2010. After earning his degree, he taught English literature at U.Va. Later, Mr. Radnitz apprenticed with theatrical director Harold Clurman, and produced two Broadway plays, The Frogs of Spring and The Young and the Beautiful, between 1953 and 1955. He moved to Hollywood to be a script consultant at Twentieth Century-Fox, which financed his first feature. He produced his first film in 1959, the boy-and-his-dog tale A Dog of Flanders. He went on to produce nearly a dozen feature films, often mining children’s literature to make such movies as Misty (1961), based on the Marguerite Henry classic Misty of Chincoteague; and Island of the Blue Dolphins (1964), which shared its name with the Newbery Award-winning book by Scott O’Dell. Nominated for an Academy Award for best picture, Sounder was his most acclaimed film. It was based on William Armstrong’s best-selling book about a black sharecropping family in the Depression-era South. Mr. Radnitz’s final feature film was Cross Creek, a 1983 drama that unfolds on a Florida bayou. It was nominated for four Academy Awards.

Doris Mae Swaim (Nurs ’47) of Charlottesville died April 24, 2010. She retired as a registered nurse from Alleghany Regional Hospital and Bath County Community Hospital.

Sam Joseph Denney
(Col ’48) of Memphis died Dec. 28, 2009. He served as an aviator in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa honor society. Dr. Denney practiced medicine for 45 years in northern Mississippi and western Tennessee.

Lovedy A. Erwin (Nurs ’48) of Bryson City, N.C., died April 20, 2010. She attended the University as a cadet nurse. She served as director of nursing at Rowan Memorial Hospital in Salisbury; with the Navajo tribe in Chinle, Ariz.; and retired from Cherokee Indian Hospital in 1989 after 13 years of service in Cherokee, N.C.

Swayne Latham Jr. (Com ’48 A/M) of Memphis, Tenn., died April 25, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II and the Korean War. Mr. Latham began his career as vice president of Swayne Latham Tires, later joining Memphis Stone and Gravel Co., where he became president. Eventually he served as vice chairman of Lehman Roberts Co. and retired in 1990. Mr. Latham was elected chairman of the National Aggregates Association. Survivors include a brother, James Davant Latham (Col ’53 L/M); a niece, Nathalie Manire Willard (Col ’91); and nephews Michael L. Manire (Col ’77 L/M), J. Davant Latham Jr. (Col ’84 L/M) and Swayne Latham II (Col ’94 L/M).

Felia K. Douros (Nurs ’49) of Waterford, Conn., died March 29, 2010, after a long career in nursing.

Henry Theodore Northcott Graves (Com ’49 L/M) of Luray, Va., died July 8, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. At the University, Mr. Graves was a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity. His grandfather purchased the Luray Caverns property in 1905, and Mr. Graves became involved in the business operations there in the early 1950s, serving as president of the company from 1952 to 2008. A car enthusiast, Mr. Graves’ collection of vintage and historic automobiles was opened to the public in 1957 as the Car and Carriage Caravan. The Luray Cavern complex grew over the next several decades to include a restaurant, two motels, a golf course and the recently completed Luray Valley Museum. He was a past president of the Virginia Travel Council, the National Caves Association and Southern Highlands Attractions, and served on the board of the Shenandoah Valley Travel Association. Several Virginia governors appointed him chairman of both the Virginia Board of Conservation and Economic Development and the Advisory Committee on Outdoor Advertising. He was also appointed to serve on the Virginia Cave Commission.

Royal S. Swing (Col ’49) of Charlottesville died May 22, 2010. He was trained as a fighter pilot in the U.S. Army Air Forces, serving as a lieutenant in World War II. Mr. Swing was employed at Virginia Trailways for a number of years. He later took a rural mail route until his retirement in 1984 after 30 years of service.

John David Varner (Med ’49 L/M) of Charlottesville died Jan. 29, 2010. At the University, he was a member of the football team and the Seven Society. Dr. Varner practiced neurological surgery in Roanoke, Va. Survivors include sons John David Varner Jr. (Col ’68 L/M) and Mark Varner (Col ’72 L/M).