Notices sorted by graduation date.
Thomas I. Storrs (Col '40) of Charlotte, N.C., died Feb. 10, 2012. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War. He was employed by the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond from 1934 until 1969. His jobs ranged from runner to vice president. His employment was interrupted twice by school and twice by military service. In 1959, the Federal Reserve Bank sent him to Charlotte as officer-in-charge of the branch. The following year North Carolina National Bank, predecessor to Bank of America, employed him as an executive vice president. He subsequently became vice chairman, president, and then chairman and CEO of NCNB Corp. from 1974 until his retirement in 1983. He served on six corporate boards in addition to NCNB. He served as president of the Association of Reserve City Bankers and of the Federal Advisory Council; and served as chairman of the board of trustees of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. He was president of the North Carolina Citizens Association and headed efficiency study commissions for Charlotte and Mecklenburg County and for the state of North Carolina. He was also president of the United Way of Greensboro and later of Charlotte's United Way. Survivors include a son, Thomas P. Storrs (GSBA '77).
Jethro H. Irby Jr. (Med '42 L/M) of Martinsville, Va., died March 26, 2012. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Dr. Irby was the consummate family doctor in his service to the Martinsville community, delivering more than 5,000 babies and giving thousands of flu shots to local textile and furniture workers. Survivors include a daughter, Prudence Irby Swerlick (Nurs '79 L/M); and two sons, Jeff Irby (Col '76, GSBA '80 L/M) and Jim Irby (Arch '80 L/M).
Samuel H. Williams Jr. (Col '42 L/M) of Lynchburg, Va., died April 5, 2012. He served in the U.S. Navy. Mr. Williams began his banking career with Wells Fargo in San Francisco before returning to Lynchburg in 1947 to spend the next 40 years serving as a trust officer and vice president with the First National Bank of Lynchburg, which later became SunTrust. Mr. Williams worked with numerous Lynchburg civic organizations, serving on a management board and as treasurer for the Lynchburg Junior Chamber of Commerce, the United Way, Alliance for Families, YMCA and Interfaith Outreach, among others. He was an avid gardener and stamp collector.
Francis N. Crenshaw (Col '43, Law '48 L/M) of Norfolk, Va., died Jan. 26, 2012. He was an attorney and retired senior partner of the firm Crenshaw, Ware & Martin. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Zeta Psi fraternity, the Seven Society, the IMP Society and played for the football team. On completion of law school, Mr. Crenshaw relocated to Norfolk and in 1950 joined the law firm of Baird, White & Lanning. The firm changed its name on several occasions, becoming Crenshaw, Ware & Martin in 1989. Mr. Crenshaw became the senior partner of the firm in 1968 and retired from active practice in 1997. He served as general counsel for the Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority for more than 40 years, beginning in 1954, during which he assisted in the drafting of Virginia's Housing Authorities Law and successfully argued a housing authority case before the U.S. Supreme Court. In 1986, in Chicago, Mr. Crenshaw received the first ever Distinguished Counsel Award of the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials. He was active in many bar activities, serving as president of the Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association and serving on the executive committee of the statewide Virginia Bar Association. He was a member of the Maritime Law Association of the United States, a life fellow of the American Bar Foundation and a fellow of the Virginia Law Foundation. He also served as a member of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, served on the Norfolk School Board and was appointed by Virginia's governor to serve on the board of visitors of Old Dominion University, a position he held for eight years, serving as rector of the university for three years.
Lee E. Whitlock Jr. (Med '43) of Norfolk, Va., died April 2, 2012. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1945 and through the Korean War. Practicing not only at Norfolk General, Leigh Memorial & Bayside General, he taught surgery to Eastern Virginia Medical School surgical residents at DePaul where he was on staff from 1946 to 1987. In addition to medicine, Dr. Whitlock was an outdoorsman who enjoyed hunting and fishing. He farmed cotton, corn and peanuts in Surry County; in 2003, the county awarded him Conservation Farmer of the Year.
Oscar L. Miller Jr. (Col '47) of Charlottesville died Jan. 28, 2012. Mr. Miller joined the U.Va. faculty in 1973. During his tenure, he was chair of the department of biology in the College of Arts & Sciences and held William R. Kenan Jr. and Lewis and Clark professorships. He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1978, one of the highest honors for a scientist or engineer. Mr. Miller's academic career led to a number of fellowships and visiting professorships. He was named a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1980. He was visiting professor of biology at the Center for Investigation and Advanced Studies in Mexico City; the California Institute of Technology; the Max Planck Institute for Cell Biology in Heidelberg, Germany; and the University of California, Irvine. He was the senior Fulbright Scholar at the Division of Molecular Biology, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation in New South Wales, Australia. Mr. Miller received the Lifetime Achievement Award in Science from the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1997. He retired from U.Va. in 1998 as professor emeritus, but continued to teach his popular course, "Seeing Genes in Action," to first-year students and to advise undergraduates and link them with U.Va. medical researchers. Prior to his academic career, he served in the U.S. Navy. He was a farmer for six years and later joined the research staff at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in 1961. Memorial contributions may be made to U.Va. for the Oscar L. Miller Jr. Memorial Fund and mailed to Gladys Bryant, Department of Biology, P.O. Box 400328, 229 Gilmer Hall, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4328.
William Addison Tarleton (Col '47, Grad '48) of Denver died Nov. 28, 2011. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. He later began his career with Standard Oil of California (now Chevron) and served as geologist, land manager and district manager. He retired in 1983.
Margaret Beazley Dague (Educ '48) of Akron, Ohio, died March 17, 2012. At the University, she was a member of the Virginia Players. She was an antique collector, avid reader, seamstress, excellent cook, great golfer and history buff and enjoyed traveling. Ms. Dague was a member of the Bud 'n Bloom Garden Club, Art & History, and the Wadsworth Library Board. She was a founder of the Wadsworth Rittman Hospital Auxiliary and volunteered for many years.
Severn P.C. Duvall (Col '48) of Lexington, Va., died March 2, 2012. He was a former English professor at Washington and Lee University. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II and the Korean War. He received a Fulbright lectureship in American literature and "landeskunde" at the Interpreter's Institute of the University of Mainz, in Germersheim, Germany, which he served from 1957 to 1958. In 1962, he came to Washington and Lee University, where he became the chair of the English department, and served in that position until 1978. In 1971, he received a second Fulbright lectureship to the University of Warsaw. His primary teaching and research focused on the American South, with secondary interests in modern poetry and American nonfictional prose. He served on the committee for the Glasgow Endowment, bringing modern writers to speak and read, which he chaired for more than two decades. He retired from Washington and Lee in 1995.
Benno Janssen Jr. (Engr '48, Med '56 L/M) of Palm Beach, Fla., died March 14, 2012. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity and played on the football and golf teams. Dr. Janssen later joined Drs. Rotter, Warren and Spivey in 1959 as a gastroenterologist and internal medicine specialist, and served at Good Samaritan and St. Mary's hospitals. He was a volunteer physician for Palm Beach County beginning in 1995, at the Caridad Health Clinic for Migrants from 1999 until 2003, and at the Samaritan Clinic from 2002 until recently. He was an avid golfer and won the Oakmont Country Club Championship in 1938, the Western Pennsylvania Junior Championship in 1939, and played in seven U.S. Amateur Championships from 1938 until 1951. Dr. Janssen also coached Gray-Y football for several years in the 1970s and was an assistant high school baseball coach for a few years. From 1977 until 1987, he was the football team physician at North Shore High School, also teaching a one-hour class on medicine and drugs at the school from 1984 until 1987. Survivors include a brother, A. Patton Janssen (Engr '49 L/M); two sons, Benno Janssen III (Com '84 L/M) and Roger Janssen (Arch '87 L/M); and a daughter, Susan Janssen Kah (Col '83 L/M).