Notices sorted by graduation date.

Howard Glover Jr. (Med ’34) of Atlanta died Sept. 10, 2010. At the University, he was a member of Kappa Alpha and Phi Beta Pi medical fraternity. He practiced medicine for more than 55 years, and for more than 40 years operated the Glover Clinic in partnership with his brother, Nat. During his professional career, he was a member of the Rotary Club and served on the board of the Citizens and Southern Bank.

Jean McNutt Martin Glasgow (Med ’36 L/M) of Roanoke, Va., died Aug. 31, 2010. She began a private practice in pediatrics in Roanoke in 1942. After 1948, her medical career shifted to psychiatry. Later, Dr. Glasgow was on the staff of the Salem Veterans Administration Hospital. In 1964, she served as director of the Mountain Empire Clinic and was also on the staff of St. Albans Hospital in Radford. A year later, she was a consultant to the staff of the Roanoke Guidance Center. She served as consultant psychiatrist in state mental health clinics in Virginia and West Virginia. She worked as a psychiatrist and organizer at the Greenbrier Valley Mental Health Clinic in Lewisburg, W.Va. She served in mental health clinics in Princeton, Hinton, Union and Lewisburg, W.Va., and in Radford, Roanoke and Clifton Forge, Va. Dr. Glasgow was a member of the advisory board of the Juvenile Court in Roanoke. She was a member of the U.Va. Medical Alumni Association’s Cornerstone Society. In 2008, she became a member of the UVA Health System’s Compass Rose Society for her outstanding leadership and direction. Dr. Glasgow contributed articles to various pediatric journals. Survivors include sons, Allen M. Glasgow (Med ’67) and Lowrie R. Glasgow (Med ’73); and grandsons, Andrew M. Glasgow (Educ ’03) and Samuel L. Glasgow (Com ’05, GSBA ’14).

James Gilliam Conrad (Col ’37, Law ’40 L/M) of Lynchburg, Va., died Aug. 13, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. Mr. Conrad practiced law in Lynchburg for several years and then became secretary and treasurer of the Midway Bottled Gas Co. He was former president of the Virginia Propane Gas Association.

Charles Metcalf Crump (Law ’37 A/M) of Memphis, Tenn., died Aug. 9, 2010. At the University, he was a Lawn resident and member of the Virginia Law Review and Phi Delta Phi legal fraternity. In 1937, he entered a law practice in Memphis. Mr. Crump was a representative from Shelby County to the Tennessee House of Representatives at its 1939, 1941 and 1943 sessions. He was a Life Scout, scoutmaster, president and member of the executive board of Chickasaw Council Boy Scouts of America, and received the Silver Beaver Award in 1943. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He was a member of the American, Tennessee and Memphis bar associations and board member, treasurer and secretary of the latter. In 1964, he received an Award of Merit from the Tennessee Bar Association for his work in continuing legal education. In 2004, he received the Judge Jerome Turner Lawyer’s Lawyer Award from the Memphis Bar Association. He was a director and secretary of the board of NationsBank of Tennessee/Memphis and a member of the advisory board of Bank of America, Memphis. Active in the Memphis Rotary Club, Mr. Crump was a Paul Harris Fellow and received the Outstanding Community Service Award in 2005. Mr. Crump practiced law for 70 years and retired at the age of 95. He was a founder and board member of Diversity Memphis. He was a member and former vice chair for tours, Memphis chapter, US-China Peoples Friendship Association and was a tour leader on four tours to China.

Robert Edward Graham Jr. (Grad ’37, ’39) of McClellanville, S.C., died Sept. 29, 2010. He was on the faculty of the University of Virginia until he was called to duty by the U.S. Army Reserve in 1942. After the war, Mr. Graham joined the U.S. Department of Commerce in Washington, D.C., where he worked as an economist for 28 years. In 1968, he received the Commerce Department’s Gold Medal Award for outstanding work in the field of regional economic analysis. Mr. Graham retired in 1974 as chief of the Regional Income Division, Office of Business Economics. He then joined the faculty of the University of South Carolina in Columbia, where he taught economics until 1980 and became a member of the Omicron Delta Epsilon International Economics Honor Society. Later, Mr. Graham served as headmaster of Archibald Rutledge Academy in McClellanville and as a president of the St. James-Santee Parish Historical Society.

Charles Clarke Cunningham Jr. (Col ’39 L/M) of Radford, Va., died Aug. 15, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. At the University, Mr. Clarke was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. He was a member of the University of Virginia Board of Visitors from 1980 to 1984 and a member of the Thomas Jefferson Society of Alumni. He was president of the former First and Merchants National Bank of Radford, now SunTrust Bank, and was president of the Virginia Bankers Association.

Robert I. Upshur (Arch ’39) of West Columbia, S.C., died Aug. 1, 2010. He served in the U.S. Air Force Global Strike Command during World War II. Mr. Upshur spent several years working for architectural and engineering firms in the Carolinas. In 1954, he became a founding partner in the architectural firm of Upshur, Riley and Bultman in Columbia. Resigning from that firm, he took a position with the state Department of Education as director of the Office of School Planning and Building, a position he held until his retirement in 1983. Mr. Upshur was past president of the South Carolina Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and also a past president of the Clemson Architectural Foundation.