Notices sorted by graduation date.
Mildred Neale Baltz (Educ ’32) of Hagerstown, Md., died Oct. 6, 2012. She began teaching in a one-room schoolhouse in 1928 before earning a scholarship to study at the University, where she was a charter member of Kappa Delta sorority. Ms. Baltz was the Greenville County, Va., supervisor of schools from 1932 to 1936, later serving as a reading consultant with Macmillan Publishing, traveling the country and instructing teachers on how to use Macmillan textbooks in their reading programs. In 1946, she went to Berlin to establish the Berlin school for the children of U.S. Army personnel during the U.S. occupation of Germany. Ms. Baltz later worked for the Washington County (Md.) School System. She was an avid golfer, gardener and reader, as well as a talented watercolorist who was a member of the Fort Meyers Beach Art Association in Florida and the Valley Art Association in Hagerstown. Survivors include a daughter, Mary Baltz Curran (Engr ’80 L/M).
John Jerauld “Jack” Owen (Engr ’39 L/M) of Charlottesville died Nov. 17, 2012. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. At the University, he was a Lawn resident, a member of the Seven Society, the Raven Society, IMP Society, T.I.L.K.A. and Beta Theta Pi fraternity. He worked as an engineer at the Institute for Textile Technology from 1946 until 1950, when the Army recalled him to work at the Pentagon during the Korean War. He then worked in the engineering department and served as company president of Millers Falls Tool Co. in Massachusetts. Mr. Owen began his career in higher education development in 1966, working for Deerfield Academy, Yale University and the University of Connecticut Foundation before landing at the University of Virginia in 1976, where he served as the University’s first vice president for development until his retirement in 1981. Under his direction, the University launched and completed its first Universitywide capital campaign. Mr. Owen continued to connect donors to various University projects until 1986. For his efforts, he received the Raven Award in 1994. His last major project was securing funding for the digital archiving of the glass-plate negatives of Rufus Holsinger, a Charlottesville photographer of the early 20th century. Mr. Owen could build and repair almost anything, including fountains and the University of Virginia ceremonial mace. He and his wife loved traveling and creating a summer camp for their grandchildren, and he told many stories about his travels—his visit to Boston’s first traffic light, bringing cream to Charlottesville in a horse-drawn wagon and crossing the beaches of Normandy after D-Day. Survivors include two sons, John D. Owen (Grad ’83 L/M) and Charles Palmer Owen (Engr ’95 L/M). Memorials may be made to the Owen Family Fund at the University of Virginia, c/o The U.Va. Fund, P.O. Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22907-4314.