In the early 1960s, the Garden Club of Virginia sponsored a restoration of the East Gardens to Thomas Jefferson's original design. The walls for the gardens were constructed of old brick from demolished buildings (shown here) in the Charlottesville community.
The School of Nursing Class of 1940 poses for a class photo with professors and administrators. Read more about the history of nursing at U.Va. and how current nursing professors and students are working to preserve the profession's legacy.
In this aerial view of Grounds taken in 1934, a barely-developed Rt. 29 can be seen in the top left corner of the photo.
This photo of the Hot Feet (later known as the IMPs), shows the coronation of Hot Feet King McV-ski, the Two Times, on Oct. 27, 1906. Included in the group are Charles S. McVeigh (king), Lewis R. Hampton (queen), Whitwell W. Coxe (archbishop), Lewis D. Crenshaw (wizard), Duncan Curry (anarchist), Virginius R. Shackleford, A. Stuart Robertson, and others.
A view of the restoration work outside the Rotunda, facing University Avenue.
A closeup of the Rotunda roof painting process.
The Rotunda restoration is moving right along. More white paint, more scaffolding.
Located in Poe Alley, between Pavilions III and V, this decorative medallion commemorates Edgar Allan Poe's year of birth, year of death, and the year he attended the University (1826).
Congratulations to Tristan Jones (Engr '14) for guessing correctly!
** Contest is Closed **
Farewell, copper dome. The Rotunda roof gets a fresh coat of paint this summer.