The Aviator was crafted to recognize UVA alum and French Air Service pilot James McConnell, whose plane went down in France in 1917. But it’s not your typical WWI memorial.
In a series of experiments in a lab on Grounds in 1977, pharmacology professor Alfred G. Gilman made a breakthrough that won him a Nobel Prize.
Faculty and alumni remember some true relics of University history: computer labs.
Caroyl Beddow Gooch's careful calculations of astronomical measurements helped McCormick Observatory become one of the world's top observatories in the mid-20th century.
Tour of some of the mysterious, historic—and empty—properties owned by the University.
Bernard Mayes had a long list of achievements before he even came to UVA But on Grounds, he is perhaps best remembered as a Cambridge gentleman in a tweed jacket who broke down barriers for gay students and colleagues alike.
A look at how UVA’s mascot has changed over time
Before embarking on a naval career that would send him to the North and South poles, Rear Adm. Richard E. Byrd spent a year studying at UVA.
If you thought the sounds of the University Chapel's bells are made by an expert ringer toiling inside the steeple, think again.
Only some of Manning's ideas came to be, but he defined a way of thinking about growth at the University and raised important questions about building values.
The flag that hangs in JPJ Arena once covered the casket of a Vietnam veteran.
John Leys reflects on football and war.
In 1939 and 1953, students gave grand funerals for two beloved University dogs.
FDR delivers his famous “hand that held the dagger” speech in Mem Gym.
One of Raphael's most famous frescoes has enjoyed its own renaissance at the University.
Thomas Jefferson envisioned the Rotunda dome room not as a library but as a planetarium for teaching astronomy.
View the minutes from UVA's first BOV meeting including Jefferson, Madison and Monroe.
The history of Final Exercises at UVA.
On July 10, Queen Elizabeth toured the Academical Village, where 18,000 people watched her stroll down the Lawn.
In 1828, the Board of Visitors created the University Fire Company.