Curtain Rises on Caplin Theatre
Completed in the spring, the Ruth Caplin Theatre is a 300-seat "thrust-style" facility that extends the stage into the seating area to create a greater sense of intimacy between the performers and the audience.
The $13.5 million, two-story theater connects to the existing lobby and box office for the Culbreth and Helms Theatres. Named for Ruth Caplin, the facility was built with the help of a $4 million donation from Caplin and her husband, Mortimer Caplin (Col '37, Law '40).
Essential Bridge Replaced
The McCormick Road Bridge was built in 1931 to connect the Central Grounds to the newly constructed Scott Stadium and was widened in 1951 when the Old Dorms were built. This summer, the bridge was torn down and replaced after a Virginia Department of Transportation inspection revealed significant deterioration.
The new bridge is 14 inches higher, which should prevent the tall-truck collisions that have contributed to the structural damage.