These three photos, all taken from the same spot on the Lawn, capture the Rotunda in various phases of renovation and reconstruction. In 1897, architects McKim, Meade and White rebuilt the Rotunda—with a few changes to Jefferson’s original design—after it perished in the 1895 fire. In the 1970s, the Rotunda was restored as part of the U.S. Bicentennial celebration; the roof was replaced and the oculus repaired. The current restoration project began in 2012 and is more thorough than the previous one. Preservationists and construction crews are working to repair even the smallest details.