Each year, the bar seems to rise for students entering the University.
The 3,244 students who moved in this August, for example, are the “most,” “highest,” “strongest” and “best” in various categories of achievement and character.
Beyond the words, here’s a look at some numbers that help tell the story of the Class of 2014:
- 22,516—number of applications received, a record
- 1,993—average total score on the three parts of the SAT required by the University, up from 1,984 last year
- 90.2—percentage ranked in the top 10 percent of their high school graduating classes, up from 88.8 percent last year
- 29.9—percentage of students identifying themselves as members of a minority group, up from 27.5 percent last year
- 25—percentage increase in students with Asian backgrounds
- 35—percentage increase in students from low-income backgrounds who are attending through AccessUVa
Simply put, this year’s class is the most competitive, the most diverse and the strongest academically to enter UVA.