The 2007-08 basketball season might have lacked fireworks, but there were plenty of sparkling moments in the performance of fourth-year guard Sean Singletary.
He became the fifth Cavalier to score 2,000 points (2,062), and he is the only player in ACC history to have 2,000 career points, 500 career assists, 400 career rebounds and 200 career steals.
For the third straight season, Singletary was named to the All-ACC first team, joining Bryant Stith and Ralph Sampson as the only other Cavs to achieve that distinction. Singletary set or tied career highs in five categories during his last season as a Cavalier, including scoring 41 points against Miami on March 1.
In recognition of his contributions, the University retired Singletary’s jersey. Other honors include the following:
- All-America honorable mention selection by CollegeHoops.net and the Associated Press (for the second consecutive year)
- First-team National Association of Basketball Coaches District 5 selection (for the second consecutive year)
- U.S. Basketball Writers Association All-District III selection (for the third consecutive year)
- Finalist for the Bob Cousy Award (to the nation’s top guard)
- Finalist for the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award
- Named Player of the Year by the Virginia Sports Information Directors Association.